Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: things are pretty sad these days

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Which is the ridiculous part, exactly? The fact that there is more to football than flicks? Or that you can't deny his talent? Or that there were issues with him?

I'm struggling to see where anything I posted is contradicted by anything you posted.

He did what was asked of him under Wenger, under different managers who asked him to play in a different way he clearly struggled.

but are you actually saying that no one could possibly deny his greatness despite the fact that Madrid sold him to us and that neither Emery or Arteta wanted him in the team? And that he's currently struggling to find a team in Turkey that will take him despite the fact that he's only 33 years old? Does that *really* sound like someone who's greatness cannot be denied?
    Apologies if I am wrong but you seem to reduce his talents to flicks, it was obviously much more than that.
    Not sure the fact that Madrid let him go is quite the argument you think it is, though. Henry was released by Juventus, Bergkamp by Inter and Vieira AC Milan. Can't be greats, then? Chelsea let De Bruyne and Salah go. Sometimes players don't fit into plans. He's clearly drifted the last few years and I won't deny that but at his (long) peak he was one of the best in the world.

what have I started

Next one Arshavin.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Apologies if I am wrong but you seem to reduce his talents to flicks, it was obviously much more than that.
    Not sure the fact that Madrid let him go is quite the argument you think it is, though. Henry was released by Juventus, Bergkamp by Inter and Vieira AC Milan. Can't be greats, then? Chelsea let De Bruyne and Salah go. Sometimes players don't fit into plans. He's clearly drifted the last few years and I won't deny that but at his (long) peak he was one of the best in the world.
    TBF to Wes, it was me talking about flicks and eye of the needle passes, cos I like them. Though of course there's more to Ozil than that. He made far more goals with corners and FKs because his delivery was so good than he did with those flicks and passes I adore.

Btw, do you think it's silly not to have prioritised a new MF after Jesus? Given ESR doesn't seem to be first choice, I dunno why we got Vieirra instead of a GX upgrade. If we get one now after signing Zin, then I'll be happy.

But after being in the CL for 20 years, as soon as we signed GX, we dropped out. That's under 3 different managers.

6 seasons. Playing with Ozil and Alexis, or with Partey and Odin and we still don't get top 4.

He's the one common denominator to the six seasons of shîte. He isn't top 4 quality.

I know you aren't obtuse so you *must* be being deliberately obtuse. Henry/Bergkamp and Vieira being released by those clubs at those points in their careers was the same as Madrid selling us Ozil at the age of 25? Seriously?

And I didn't reduce him to just flicks, I said you couldn't deny his talent but there were issues with him.

But this is boring, there is a segment of AWIMB that simply won't accept anything other than that he was a great player for us, and you belong in that segment. I'll give you credit though, at least you haven't mentioned his movement off the ball

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I know you aren't obtuse so you *must* be being deliberately obtuse. Henry/Bergkamp and Vieira being released by those clubs at those points in their careers was the same as Madrid selling us Ozil at the age of 25? Seriously?

And I didn't reduce him to just flicks, I said you couldn't deny his talent but there were issues with him.

But this is boring, there is a segment of AWIMB that simply won't accept anything other than that he was a great player for us, and you belong in that segment. I'll give you credit though, at least you haven't mentioned his movement off the ball
    I am sensitive on the subject. We are probably not as far apart in assessment as it seems, of course. (Though the pedant in me must of course point out that Dennis was actually 26 when he joined us )

Hope you are enjoying the weather

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    TBF to Wes, it was me talking about flicks and eye of the needle passes, cos I like them. Though of course there's more to Ozil than that. He made far more goals with corners and FKs because his delivery was so good than he did with those flicks and passes I adore.

Btw, do you think it's silly not to have prioritised a new MF after Jesus? Given ESR doesn't seem to be first choice, I dunno why we got Vieirra instead of a GX upgrade. If we get one now after signing Zin, then I'll be happy.

But after being in the CL for 20 years, as soon as we signed GX, we dropped out. That's under 3 different managers.

6 seasons. Playing with Ozil and Alexis, or with Partey and Odin and we still don't get top 4.

He's the one common denominator to the six seasons of shîte. He isn't top 4 quality.
    I think it is a huge leap to see Granit as the reason we haven't qualified for the Champions League in so long.

Last season was probably the first he played in a proper position for him and our record when he played with Partey was fantastic.

Of course, we can upgrade - and it is possible that is where Arteta wants to play Zinchenko. Not sure Tielemans is the panacea people seem to think he is

I think it is a huge leap to see Granit as the reason we haven't qualified for the Champions League in so long.

Last season was probably the first he played in a proper position for him and our record when he played with Partey was fantastic.

Of course, we can upgrade - and it is possible that is where Arteta wants to play Zinchenko. Not sure Tielemans is the panacea people seem to think he is
    Spot on. GX was very good alongside TP

I dunno is Youri is the panacea, I just think having a first change MF who's better than Mo, Sambi et al is needed.

Obviously, I'm not blaming GX for the last 6 years of failure. If Santi hadn't got injured, if Auba had signed instead of Laca so we could have kept Olly G for a back up and plan B, if we hadn't had to swap Alexis for Mhikki etc.

But I saw a stat saying that points per game when TP5 was playing last year would have got us 3rd. Without him, it was 5th or something.

I just with there was a way of making Odin and ESR work together in a 4-1-4-1 like when we got to the CL final.

I loved that formation. A DM, 4 creatives with goal threat and a lone genius striker.

ESR needs to be playing week in, week out. It worked for Saka, then Gabby M. Look what he did to the Sperz last winter.