Thread: PRSB, my Kamado Joe 3 Classic arrived yesterday

PRSB, my Kamado Joe 3 Classic arrived yesterday

the whole box weighed 200 kg according to the bloke that delivered it

So what should I be cooking on it then?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    the whole box weighed 200 kg according to the bloke that delivered it

So what should I be cooking on it then?
    Yes, mine's slowly sinking into the garden
    My advice is start off simple, burger, sausages, steaks, chops, etc and learn the heating controls (usually around 2-3 fingers on bottom vent and then between 1st and 2nd notch on the top. Then just use top vent to control temps.
    Buy a looft lighter and get decent Charcoal - Kamado Big Block
    Really happy I bought the charcoal basket for mine (comes with the 3, I believe), far less wastage of charcoal for small cooks.
    Going to try an overnight brisket in the next couple of weeks and a couple of tomahawks and definitely ribs!!
    This is a great cookbook - Grillstock: The BBQ Book

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    My advice is start off simple, burger, sausages, steaks, chops, etc and learn the heating controls (usually around 2-3 fingers on bottom vent and then between 1st and 2nd notch on the top. Then just use top vent to control temps.
    Really happy I bought the charcoal basket for mine (comes with the 3, I believe), far less wastage of charcoal for small cooks.
    Going to try an overnight brisket in the next couple of weeks and a couple of tomahawks and definitely ribs!!
    This sounds delicious - really ought to pop by Manchester on my next visit home

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    This sounds delicious - really ought to pop by Manchester on my next visit home
    Always welcome, my friend

Cheers mate

Definitely doing some steaks and chicken and been watching youtube for rib recipes. Found a place online that does St Louis racks of ribs. Can't wait.

Lord knows how I get it from my garage to the garden

In bits in my experience! Definitely a 2 man job. My gardener tried to move it and nearly put his back out

Oh and I take it you have meat thermometers? Makes such a difference, no more burnt looking food!!

In bits in my experience! Definitely a 2 man job. My gardener tried to move it and nearly put his back out

Oh and I take it you have meat thermometers? Makes such a difference, no more burnt looking food!!
    Yup, got a Meater 2 years ago, love it

Few videos on youtube about how to avoid Kamado Joe mistakes, as well. I'm thinking a rack of St Louis ribs and then a slow roasted prime rib once I get the temperature control down

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yup, got a Meater 2 years ago, love it

Few videos on youtube about how to avoid Kamado Joe mistakes, as well. I'm thinking a rack of St Louis ribs and then a slow roasted prime rib once I get the temperature control down
    I keep nearly getting this but I know Sir C will say it's cheating (and it probably is)
    https://www.bbqland.co.uk/bbq-access...amado-joe.html

Get a handheld probe, that you can just quickly test the food temperature as well, as for some cooks the meaters get too hot

I keep nearly getting this but I know Sir C will say it's cheating (and it probably is)
    https://www.bbqland.co.uk/bbq-access...amado-joe.html

Get a handheld probe, that you can just quickly test the food temperature as well, as for some cooks the meaters get too hot
    Have you done ribs? I like ribs but not sure they can ever be *that* good however you see loads of people raving about them.

trim them up, mustard and dry rub on each side and then 1 1/2 hours at 275F spritzing with apple juice and cider vinegar
    then in foil with more mustard, rub and apple juice and back on for another 1 1/2 hours
    then out of the foil, brush with sauce and another 1/2 hr

That seemed to be the consensus from the videos I watched.

Finally a topic I know something about!

When folks ask me, here is what I recommend as far as cooking gear. Charcoal with wood chips/chunks is the only way. given that...

For short cooks (steaks, burgers, fish, etc.) I recommend the Weber Performer. The Weber with the offset upper vents is the unquestioned best and the Performer has a nice table for you as well as a compartment for your charcoal, and ash basket, etc. Get the two charcoal baskets and a hinged grate so you can do indirect cooks for meats like pork chops, meatloaf, roasts, etc. that way you can easily add more charcoal and wood chips.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...former-series/

For long cooks (chicken, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder/butts) I strongly recommend the home cook use the Pit Barrel Cooker. You hang the meat on hooks, set it and forget it. You leave the lid closed and do not add anything. You do need a probe to monitor the internal temperature. It comes with a grate that I use after I wrap the brisket (Texas Crutch) to get the hunk of cow over the 160F (70C) stall.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/ If you scroll to the bottom they have a store locator hyperlink and you can find the closest store. I see there's a Firefly bbq in Manchester! I think

I just called my gal Angie there. They know have a distributor in the UK by the name of cuefresco ??

https://www.quefresco.co.uk/ Anyway, the Pit Barrel website has lots of videos.

This is simply my approach and is not intended to impugn other types of gear.. BBQ folks are passionate about EVERYTHING .. sauces, techniques, rubs, cuts of meat, and the cooking gear is no exception.

I would happy to help with any recipes or cooking techniques. I've already made about every mistake there is!

Oh, you can do slow cooks on a Weber as well using one charcoal basket. Ribs, chicken, roasts, brisket, etc. all come out fine. It just takes more time and more tending to the heat and more care for the technique, but no big deal.