Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: The ultimate 'dis' will be if .....

The ultimate 'dis' will be if .....

Tuchel the Teutonic Titmouse heavily rotates his side tomorrow because they have a big derby match against the 'Ammers on Sunday!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Tuchel the Teutonic Titmouse heavily rotates his side tomorrow because they have a big derby match against the 'Ammers on Sunday!!!!!
    Boring Chief.

Far more importantly - how long would you typically wait from the time you had your smoker up to the required heat and then you added your wood, until you then put the meat on? assume I'm using small pieces of apple wood, how long from the time you put them in until the bad smoke is gone and you can then add the meat?

My ribs came out well but they were definitely over smoked.

As long as the coals burn out (bad smoke) before the fruit wood the wood flavor will cancel out the charcoal. Same goes for if you have to add charcoal during the cook. Overlay with wood that will burn longer than the black and no problems.

That's why in a long cook you want chunks of fruit wood, dunked in water the night before, so they last. Wood chips only work in a direct cook scenario like steaks.

Also, think light on the wood. You want just an overlay of smoke taste. Keep in mind that the smoke flavor gets more intense over time so something with a little smoke flavor will be a LOT the next day and onward. Don't go by the smoke you smell during the cook!

Competition teams will burn the charcoal in a chimney before adding to cancel the bad smoke, but honestly I've never tasted it (acrid) in my personal home cooks unless the wood chunks are burnt out/missing.

To answer directly, as long as my cooker is somewhere around the temp I put the meat on and adjust vents/time, etc. accordingly. To put it in French/Canadian style, "You cannot eat unless ze meat is on ze burner,"

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Competition teams will burn the charcoal in a chimney before adding to cancel the bad smoke, but honestly I've never tasted it (acrid) in my personal home cooks unless the wood chunks are burnt out/missing.
    hmmm - I also use a chimney to start the coals so they are burning hot as soon as I put them in the smoker. I then added two pieces of apple wood about the size that would sit in the palm of your hand. I let them burn for 5 min or so until it seemed the white smoke was gone and then added the ribs and shut the smoker.

But white smoke continued to pour out of the top vent for the better part of an hour. I'm told this is a bad thing and for our taste they were definitely too smoky. Someone told me they would let the wood burn longer before they added the meat and that you shouldn't see a lot of white smoke coming out of the smoker.