Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRSB, my Kamado Joe 3 Classic arrived yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Finally a topic I know something about!

When folks ask me, here is what I recommend as far as cooking gear. Charcoal with wood chips/chunks is the only way. given that...

For short cooks (steaks, burgers, fish, etc.) I recommend the Weber Performer. The Weber with the offset upper vents is the unquestioned best and the Performer has a nice table for you as well as a compartment for your charcoal, and ash basket, etc. Get the two charcoal baskets and a hinged grate so you can do indirect cooks for meats like pork chops, meatloaf, roasts, etc. that way you can easily add more charcoal and wood chips.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...former-series/

For long cooks (chicken, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder/butts) I strongly recommend the home cook use the Pit Barrel Cooker. You hang the meat on hooks, set it and forget it. You leave the lid closed and do not add anything. You do need a probe to monitor the internal temperature. It comes with a grate that I use after I wrap the brisket (Texas Crutch) to get the hunk of cow over the 160F (70C) stall.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/ If you scroll to the bottom they have a store locator hyperlink and you can find the closest store. I see there's a Firefly bbq in Manchester! I think

I just called my gal Angie there. They know have a distributor in the UK by the name of cuefresco ??

https://www.quefresco.co.uk/ Anyway, the Pit Barrel website has lots of videos.

This is simply my approach and is not intended to impugn other types of gear.. BBQ folks are passionate about EVERYTHING .. sauces, techniques, rubs, cuts of meat, and the cooking gear is no exception.

I would happy to help with any recipes or cooking techniques. I've already made about every mistake there is!

Oh, you can do slow cooks on a Weber as well using one charcoal basket. Ribs, chicken, roasts, brisket, etc. all come out fine. It just takes more time and more tending to the heat and more care for the technique, but no big deal.
    Bloody hell, Chief, I just spent £2000 on a Kamado Joe, I don't want any other options.

Are ribs really *that* good done the way I described? Brisket I'm not kean on, pork butt I'm looking forward to.

Oh and Tyreek Hill, eh? That's a big call, a very big call. Personally I would have found a way to keep him. Not sure your offence scares me nearly as much now.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Bloody hell, Chief, I just spent £2000 on a Kamado Joe, I don't want any other options.

Are ribs really *that* good done the way I described? Brisket I'm not kean on, pork butt I'm looking forward to.

Oh and Tyreek Hill, eh? That's a big call, a very big call. Personally I would have found a way to keep him. Not sure your offence scares me nearly as much now.
    As you described, the end result is excellent and a good base to start from as you work to make them even better. I would suggest unwrapping them and letting them sit there 'naked' for about 15 minutes as it will then develop a nice glaze on the outside along with a little bit of bark (crust). For different types of ribs (spare, baby back, St. Louis cut, etc.) along with the science of bbq and recipes I also recommend this website:

https://amazingribs.com/

Maybe apply a little sauce before the 15 minute sit to have that glaze over. Remember for a home cook it is perfect if you like it. The next level up from home cook is a restaurant cook where you are looking on day-to-day consistency so customers get what they think they are ordering with minimal waste. The top level is the competition cook. BBQ teams will cook upwards of eight slabs of ribs so they can produce six of their best for the judging box.

As far as Tyreek of course you like to keep him, he's a one of a kind talent, but you can't pay everyone with the NFL salary cap. It's a matter of allocating the money and the defense needs help. If you pay your elite QB what he's worth (10 years $500mm !! ) it filters down to the whole roster. It's painful, but GM Brett Veach gets the benefit of the doubt in my book. Draft picks give him a shot at a younger, less costly replacement.

I think of it as if the Arsenal sold Auba in 2020 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    As you described, the end result is excellent and a good base to start from as you work to make them even better. I would suggest unwrapping them and letting them sit there 'naked' for about 15 minutes as it will then develop a nice glaze on the outside along with a little bit of bark (crust). For different types of ribs (spare, baby back, St. Louis cut, etc.) along with the science of bbq and recipes I also recommend this website:

https://amazingribs.com/

Maybe apply a little sauce before the 15 minute sit to have that glaze over. Remember for a home cook it is perfect if you like it. The next level up from home cook is a restaurant cook where you are looking on day-to-day consistency so customers get what they think they are ordering with minimal waste. The top level is the competition cook. BBQ teams will cook upwards of eight slabs of ribs so they can produce six of their best for the judging box.

As far as Tyreek of course you like to keep him, he's a one of a kind talent, but you can't pay everyone with the NFL salary cap. It's a matter of allocating the money and the defense needs help. If you pay your elite QB what he's worth (10 years $500mm !! ) it filters down to the whole roster. It's painful, but GM Brett Veach gets the benefit of the doubt in my book. Draft picks give him a shot at a younger, less costly replacement.

I think of it as if the Arsenal sold Auba in 2020 !!
    I'm pissed Randy Gregory went to the Broncos!

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I'm pissed Randy Gregory went to the Broncos!
    Join the club mate. Madness that the Jones f*cked that one up and that he showed no loyalty at all to the team that had paid him when he wasn't playing!

Still, maybe we get an LB in the draft and Parsons rushes the passer more next year.

TBF as well, 14mil a year for a player that keeps getting injured and suspended is a gamble.

I'm still doing my grilling on ye olde PK Grill, though I got a Weber kettle around too. The smoking is on WSM. I got a gasser as well, but it is mostly the wife that uses that one. It is quite nice for things like quesadillas etc

I guess the kamado is a do it all solution. You can grill on it, smoke on it. I could really see myself replacing the PK and the Kettle with a Kamado Joe. The WSM is very nice for doing big batches of ribs. I've done 12kgs of ribs on it, it is a tight fit, but it goes.
    Last edited by Darren's Dodgy Denim; 04-02-2022 at 03:33 PM.

the whole box weighed 200 kg according to the bloke that delivered it

So what should I be cooking on it then?
    How you getting on with it?

How you getting on with it?
    Yeah love it

I've made steak seared and then slower cooked over the deflector plate, spatchcocked chicken with the slow roller (amazing skin) and ribs for 3 1/2 hours. All turned out miles better than on my old Weber. Even Mrs WES is now a fan.

Did lamb burgers at the weekend and they turned out miles better than in the past, maybe just the extra heat.

Not done butt or brisket yet but they're on the list

Yeah love it

I've made steak seared and then slower cooked over the deflector plate, spatchcocked chicken with the slow roller (amazing skin) and ribs for 3 1/2 hours. All turned out miles better than on my old Weber. Even Mrs WES is now a fan.

Did lamb burgers at the weekend and they turned out miles better than in the past, maybe just the extra heat.

Not done butt or brisket yet but they're on the list
    St. Louis ribs for me next week, a good 5 hr cook.

Not sure whether to invest in the slo-roller, as the classic ll doesn't come with it

St. Louis ribs for me next week, a good 5 hr cook.

Not sure whether to invest in the slo-roller, as the classic ll doesn't come with it
    I did St Louis ribs as well, ordered them online from Tom Hixson. Good but going to try a sort of honey garlic soya style sauce next time.

Slow roller came with the package I bought and was not convinced at all on it. But did the chicken recipe from youtube with Alabama sauce, look it up, it was very good. And the skin in the chicken really was a different class.