Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PRSB, my Kamado Joe 3 Classic arrived yesterday

the whole box weighed 200 kg according to the bloke that delivered it

So what should I be cooking on it then?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

Yes, mine's slowly sinking into the garden
    My advice is start off simple, burger, sausages, steaks, chops, etc and learn the heating controls (usually around 2-3 fingers on bottom vent and then between 1st and 2nd notch on the top. Then just use top vent to control temps.
    Buy a looft lighter and get decent Charcoal - Kamado Big Block
    Really happy I bought the charcoal basket for mine (comes with the 3, I believe), far less wastage of charcoal for small cooks.
    Going to try an overnight brisket in the next couple of weeks and a couple of tomahawks and definitely ribs!!
    This is a great cookbook - Grillstock: The BBQ Book

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    My advice is start off simple, burger, sausages, steaks, chops, etc and learn the heating controls (usually around 2-3 fingers on bottom vent and then between 1st and 2nd notch on the top. Then just use top vent to control temps.
    Really happy I bought the charcoal basket for mine (comes with the 3, I believe), far less wastage of charcoal for small cooks.
    Going to try an overnight brisket in the next couple of weeks and a couple of tomahawks and definitely ribs!!
    This sounds delicious - really ought to pop by Manchester on my next visit home

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    This sounds delicious - really ought to pop by Manchester on my next visit home
    Always welcome, my friend

Cheers mate

Definitely doing some steaks and chicken and been watching youtube for rib recipes. Found a place online that does St Louis racks of ribs. Can't wait.

Lord knows how I get it from my garage to the garden

In bits in my experience! Definitely a 2 man job. My gardener tried to move it and nearly put his back out

Oh and I take it you have meat thermometers? Makes such a difference, no more burnt looking food!!

In bits in my experience! Definitely a 2 man job. My gardener tried to move it and nearly put his back out

Oh and I take it you have meat thermometers? Makes such a difference, no more burnt looking food!!
    Yup, got a Meater 2 years ago, love it

Few videos on youtube about how to avoid Kamado Joe mistakes, as well. I'm thinking a rack of St Louis ribs and then a slow roasted prime rib once I get the temperature control down

Yup, got a Meater 2 years ago, love it

Few videos on youtube about how to avoid Kamado Joe mistakes, as well. I'm thinking a rack of St Louis ribs and then a slow roasted prime rib once I get the temperature control down
    I keep nearly getting this but I know Sir C will say it's cheating (and it probably is)
    https://www.bbqland.co.uk/bbq-access...amado-joe.html

Get a handheld probe, that you can just quickly test the food temperature as well, as for some cooks the meaters get too hot

I'm still doing my grilling on ye olde PK Grill, though I got a Weber kettle around too. The smoking is on WSM. I got a gasser as well, but it is mostly the wife that uses that one. It is quite nice for things like quesadillas etc

I guess the kamado is a do it all solution. You can grill on it, smoke on it. I could really see myself replacing the PK and the Kettle with a Kamado Joe. The WSM is very nice for doing big batches of ribs. I've done 12kgs of ribs on it, it is a tight fit, but it goes.
    Last edited by Darren's Dodgy Denim; 04-02-2022 at 03:33 PM.

How you getting on with it?