Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember when Oleg got sent off

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That was the first time I realised I could stream boxing as well as football.

I watched all the Benn, Eubank, Watson fights but once they went onto Sky, and if I wasn't abroad, I'd be in a squat, I never got to see Collins or Calzage box. Were they as good as they say?
    Silver era - wasn't quite the days of Hagler, Duran, Barkley, Leonard. Sure I've missed one there

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Silver era - wasn't quite the days of Hagler, Duran, Barkley, Leonard. Sure I've missed one there
    Cheers. But how did they compare to Benn, Watson and Eubank?

I was in the North Bank the afternoon of the Watson-Eubank fight. We were all singing Watson's name. He was a proper Gooner and wanted to bring fights to Highbury like in 'Enry Cooper's day.

The two best fights I ever watched ended with the loser in a coma - Watson and McCellan. That's the sad reality of boxing.

I didn't like the fact that when they asked McCellan whether it would be an issue fighting in London cos he's never boxed abroad, he asked "What do the Brits know about boxing?" and said we were all poofs. He also used to feed kittens to his pit-bulls. He was into dog fighting and killed one of his dogs after it lost. Utter scum. Still doesn't deserve to end up crippled though.

Tommy 'the Hit Man' Hearns. aka the ' Motor City Cobra'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Tommy 'the Hit Man' Hearns. aka the ' Motor City Cobra'.
    Of course - how did I miss that one. Getting old, chief

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Cheers. But how did they compare to Benn, Watson and Eubank?

I was in the North Bank the afternoon of the Watson-Eubank fight. We were all singing Watson's name. He was a proper Gooner and wanted to bring fights to Highbury like in 'Enry Cooper's day.

The two best fights I ever watched ended with the loser in a coma - Watson and McCellan. That's the sad reality of boxing.

I didn't like the fact that when they asked McCellan whether it would be an issue fighting in London cos he's never boxed abroad, he asked "What do the Brits know about boxing?" and said we were all poofs. He also used to feed kittens to his pit-bulls. He was into dog fighting and killed one of his dogs after it lost. Utter scum. Still doesn't deserve to end up crippled though.
    Absolute different class, gg. Hagler was the best - I was a big Minter fan so remember Hagler absolutely destroying him.

Also agree on the McCellan fight - one of the best I've ever seen but very sad how it turned out. Didn't see the Watson one but remember he doing the marathon in 2003 I think. Finished a couple of days later so it went past my office on the Monday. Was with Audley Harrison - great moment. Was a lovely boxer as well

Absolute different class, gg. Hagler was the best - I was a big Minter fan so remember Hagler absolutely destroying him.

Also agree on the McCellan fight - one of the best I've ever seen but very sad how it turned out. Didn't see the Watson one but remember he doing the marathon in 2003 I think. Finished a couple of days later so it went past my office on the Monday. Was with Audley Harrison - great moment. Was a lovely boxer as well
    Fair fücking play. Respect to the pair of them.

The Watson-Eubank fight was scary. Our boy was ahead on points at floored Eubank at the end of the 11th. Looked like a certain victory. Eubank got back up and smacked MW down, into the ropes. Start of the 12th, MW is out on his feet and Eubank just batters him in the corner until it's stopped shortly afterwards.

When Eubank was knocked down at the end of the 1tth, he knew he basically had to kill Watson to win and had one round and a few seconds in which to do it.

After that, Eubank kept defending his title by winning on points. Everyone gave him shît for that. But I fully respect him. He had a career but realised the damage he could do, so he kept winning fights and retaining his title without throwing a proper punch again. Who can blame him?