Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Just checking to see

Just checking to see

if it's ok to still play Tetris?

Can Wrestling have Russian bad guys again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    if it's ok to still play Tetris?

Can Wrestling have Russian bad guys again?
    I remember when Tetris first came out on the C64. Cos the game was so simple, it used very little RAM, so they had loads of free memory for a 25 min long bit of music by Rob Hubbard {who was the best.}

It was genius because the C64 SID chip that made the music only had 3 channels. But Hubbard found that every time you moved the vol up or down one, it made a click, and he could change the waveform of the click. So 25 times a second, he'd set the waveform of the click, move the vol up from 97 to 98, then reset the waveform and move the vol back down one.

This allowed a form of sampling on a 4th channel. Look. Genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny743c32gPg

Sorry, I'd a bit geeky on this. Wrote for Games Computing, Computer Gamer and Your Commodore between the ages of 11 and 15 in the '80s. I was the computer expert on Junior Watchdog one episode in the school hols.

So in short, it's ok to still play Tetris as long as you're playing on a Commodore 64, pref using a Quickshot 2 joystick. {Though I personally had a very rare Quickshot 9 joyball. As opposed to it being like a willy you grabbed in your wrist with a finger trigger button, it was like a tit you put the palm of your hand on, and used your other hand to press the fire buttons on the side.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I remember when Tetris first came out on the C64. Cos the game was so simple, it used very little RAM, so they had loads of free memory for a 25 min long bit of music by Rob Hubbard {who was the best.}

It was genius because the C64 SID chip that made the music only had 3 channels. But Hubbard found that every time you moved the vol up or down one, it made a click, and he could change the waveform of the click. So 25 times a second, he'd set the waveform of the click, move the vol up from 97 to 98, then reset the waveform and move the vol back down one.

This allowed a form of sampling on a 4th channel. Look. Genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny743c32gPg

Sorry, I'd a bit geeky on this. Wrote for Games Computing, Computer Gamer and Your Commodore between the ages of 11 and 15 in the '80s. I was the computer expert on Junior Watchdog one episode in the school hols.

So in short, it's ok to still play Tetris as long as you're playing on a Commodore 64, pref using a Quickshot 2 joystick. {Though I personally had a very rare Quickshot 9 joyball. As opposed to it being like a willy you grabbed in your wrist with a finger trigger button, it was like a tit you put the palm of your hand on, and used your other hand to press the fire buttons on the side.}
    I watch quite a lot of things about this on youtube. not really my area of expertise but find it quite relaxing. i like the 8 bit guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    I watch quite a lot of things about this on youtube. not really my area of expertise but find it quite relaxing. i like the 8 bit guy
    I don't know 8-bit guy, I'll have a look.

When I was on Junior Watchdog, I guess their researcher just rang 'round the magazines until they found one with a writer under the age of 16. They let me have a can of lager in the BBC canteen - when I had a press pass for the Commodore Exhibition in the Hammersmith Novatel, I got free beer in the press bar aged 15, too - and at lunch John Stapleton said that I was an impressively coherent speaker.

I guess that after a week of them talking to 10-15 year olds who would just answer "umm" and "er", it made a change for them to have a kid who could string a sentence together.

So I got a call from the BBC a couple of weeks later asking if I'd be prepared to do another JWD. They needed an under-16 year old to go 'round the West End buying weapons like butterfly knives and the like. So I did. I bought knives hidden in lipstick and pens etc. I'd speak to camera before and after going into the shops.

I got paid for that one, too, though not for when I was the computer expert in the studio. Maybe you only got paid if you filmed outside?