Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Why do we let Auba take the penalties? He misses loads of them.

Why do we let Auba take the penalties? He misses loads of them.

Milk Cup final. Last minute of the NLD. Two in two this season.

Laca's a much better penalty taker. I think he's only missed one. Pépé is good, too.

Saka missed in the Euros, but that's the most pressure anyone can have. In future, could ESR or MO do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Milk Cup final. Last minute of the NLD. Two in two this season.

Laca's a much better penalty taker. I think he's only missed one. Pépé is good, too.

Saka missed in the Euros, but that's the most pressure anyone can have. In future, could ESR or MO do it?
    I'd let Pepe take them, he seems quite good at them and unlike Laca he will almost certainly be here next year.

Bit of a shocker from Boomerang. A better touch and it never would have fallen to an offside Saka, then he misses a pen and then takes a goal away from Odegaard. Ouch.

Still, we're in with a good chance for CL football next year, been a while since that was true. Good article on Wenger in the Tele today GG, you should read it. By Alan Tyers.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I'd let Pepe take them, he seems quite good at them and unlike Laca he will almost certainly be here next year.

Bit of a shocker from Boomerang. A better touch and it never would have fallen to an offside Saka, then he misses a pen and then takes a goal away from Odegaard. Ouch.

Still, we're in with a good chance for CL football next year, been a while since that was true. Good article on Wenger in the Tele today GG, you should read it. By Alan Tyers.
    Auba really did have a mare yesterday but Pepe has to get on the pitch first. I would definitely go with Laca who was our best attacker, even better than Saka

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Auba really did have a mare yesterday but Pepe has to get on the pitch first. I would definitely go with Laca who was our best attacker, even better than Saka
    I agree. I'm not sure if Laca's ever missed one. I have a feeling he did, but can't remember it.

I fear Pépé's finished with us. Which is sad, especially at 70mil. He has so much potential, but I think his skill is basically being the main man in a counter-attacking team.

I really think the squad needs a Santi - someone who can play 8, 10 or either wing. With Gabby able to play wide or central, we really need another no.10 who can play on either flank as well.

Strange it's taken so long to play LaK7 as a 10 behind Auba. I remember when Stevie Bould did a presser when AW was ill saying Laca was a real footballer who could play as a no.10. I guess we had Mesut then so AW wasn't gonna try it.

Btw, AMN looked decent to me. I know the first XI needs a MF to replace Granit who can either create and destroy like Partey {or PV4} or someone like Santi or TR7 who can play in a 2-man MF while also creating like a no.10.

But AMN looks like a decent cover for Partey and Sambi. Do you reckon AMN could work next to Partey, or do we need someone with a bit more creativity? I'd so love him to come good. His attitude has always impressed me, and I'd love another born and bred Gooner in the starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure if Laca's ever missed one. I have a feeling he did, but can't remember it.

I fear Pépé's finished with us. Which is sad, especially at 70mil. He has so much potential, but I think his skill is basically being the main man in a counter-attacking team.

I really think the squad needs a Santi - someone who can play 8, 10 or either wing. With Gabby able to play wide or central, we really need another no.10 who can play on either flank as well.

Strange it's taken so long to play LaK7 as a 10 behind Auba. I remember when Stevie Bould did a presser when AW was ill saying Laca was a real footballer who could play as a no.10. I guess we had Mesut then so AW wasn't gonna try it.

Btw, AMN looked decent to me. I know the first XI needs a MF to replace Granit who can either create and destroy like Partey {or PV4} or someone like Santi or TR7 who can play in a 2-man MF while also creating like a no.10.

But AMN looks like a decent cover for Partey and Sambi. Do you reckon AMN could work next to Partey, or do we need someone with a bit more creativity? I'd so love him to come good. His attitude has always impressed me, and I'd love another born and bred Gooner in the starting XI.
    I think they could definitely work together - although I can also see White moving into midfield when we have Saliba back next season. He definitely has the ability to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think they could definitely work together - although I can also see White moving into midfield when we have Saliba back next season. He definitely has the ability to work there.
    I'd rather have a more attacking MF next to Partey. He seems best like that - he can do the destructive work of a DM but can then push forward and create, a bit like PV4 back in the day.

I'd love Saliba to come and make good - selling that Bubble looks a bad movement at the mo - but why break the Gab-Ben partnership that seems to be starting to gel?

With Saliba, it becomes like every year we won a league during my lifetime, when we had 3 top drawer CHs of which we played two so we never had to worry. TA, Bould, O'Leary to Kolo, Keown and Sol.

If TA hadn't been banged up and we had the big subs bench we have now, we wouldn't have had to bring on David Hillier when Bouldy went off injured vs the Chavs in '90-1, and GG {him, not me} would have been Invincible before AW.

I'd rather have a more attacking MF next to Partey. He seems best like that - he can do the destructive work of a DM but can then push forward and create, a bit like PV4 back in the day.

I'd love Saliba to come and make good - selling that Bubble looks a bad movement at the mo - but why break the Gab-Ben partnership that seems to be starting to gel?

With Saliba, it becomes like every year we won a league during my lifetime, when we had 3 top drawer CHs of which we played two so we never had to worry. TA, Bould, O'Leary to Kolo, Keown and Sol.

If TA hadn't been banged up and we had the big subs bench we have now, we wouldn't have had to bring on David Hillier when Bouldy went off injured vs the Chavs in '90-1, and GG {him, not me} would have been Invincible before AW.
    I liked AMN in there on Sunday, was impressed. I nice little chipped ball into the box early doors for someone to run on to was the sort of thing we don't see enough of when Sambi and Partey play there.

Not sure how Smudger rated him over White for MOTM but he certainly looked good. Midfield is looking better this season - hoping Arteta will realise Xhaka's limitations (like getting red cards!) and not stick him right back in the first 11. I'd prefer AMN or Sambi get a good long run there

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I liked AMN in there on Sunday, was impressed. I nice little chipped ball into the box early doors for someone to run on to was the sort of thing we don't see enough of when Sambi and Partey play there.

Not sure how Smudger rated him over White for MOTM but he certainly looked good. Midfield is looking better this season - hoping Arteta will realise Xhaka's limitations (like getting red cards!) and not stick him right back in the first 11. I'd prefer AMN or Sambi get a good long run there
    Couldn't agree more, Wes. You know me, ideally I'd want a midget no.10. But I'm in a much better mood having seen how Sambi and AMN play there than I was with GX in the starting XI.

White didn't have all that much to do, though did it all well. AMN worked for the full 90, doing a bit of everything.

Was it like PV4 or Cesc at their peaks? No. But had we just spent £23m on AMNinho, and that was his debut, all the fans would have been raving we'd got a bargain.