Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Australia

Australia

Wondering if you all are able to see what is going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Wondering if you all are able to see what is going on there.
    I’ve seen headlines suggesting that the police have been a little heavy-handed with anti lockdown protestors, is it? To be honest I don’t tend to take any notice of what colonials get up to.

Such an uncultured lot. Don’t you find?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I’ve seen headlines suggesting that the police have been a little heavy-handed with anti lockdown protestors, is it? To be honest I don’t tend to take any notice of what colonials get up to.

Such an uncultured lot. Don’t you find?
    What? Compared to the Septics?

About 5 or so years ago, I went to Costa Rica while the glw was in India. Spent most of the time in a backpacker hostel in the capital. And that's when I found the truth of Steven Fry's statement that if you want to see how close Brits and Aussies are, put them in a room with an American.

I'd delayed my return to help a Yank who'd lost it on drugs and thrown away his wallet and bank card. So I looked after him for a week until he could get money sent out.

One morning, when I got up, he said he'd met this Aussie who'd just arrived who was sound and I should come and meet him. I did and the Aussie and I hit it off straight away.

Obviously, after a while we got talking about the Ashes. The Yank was confused. So I said:

During one of the tests in 2005, Eng had lost at football to NI the night before. So at the cricket, loads of Aussie fans started chanting "Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland." So the trumpeter from the Barmy Army - the Eng cricket fans - started playing Yellow Submarine. When it got to the chorus, they all started singing "You all live in a convict colony, a convict colony, a convict colony."

The Aussie starts pīssing himself with laughter. The Yank looks shocked and says "You .... you think that's acceptable?"

"Course mate," says the Aussie, "it's what it's all about."

{A couple of weeks earlier in the same place, I'd met a couple of female Aussies who'd been working in the climate change dept. One had studied at the Sorbonne and had a published PhD. Apparently, when the right-wing lot won the election and the new PM made it clear that he didn't really care about global warming, the entire dept resigned en masse. Spent all day chatting with them as we sorted out a new bus journey and went to the Carib coast together. Sound as fück, both of them.}

Maybe the ones that don't leave Aus are different, but every single Aussie I've met in Asia, Europe or the Americas has been totally sound. Ganpati bless the lot of them.

A British mate, Lorty,* said she'd been there and had hoped they were all as sound as the ones you meet travelling. But they weren't. Loads were born again Christians.

{*Lorty was on that Gaza Flotilla that the Israelis raided by helicopter in 2010. She was another crusty from our scene. The BBC interviewed her parents who came out of their house to make a statement saying she had their full support. Turned out daddy was a colonel with a very posh accent. But Lorty is totally sound.}