Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Auba's flick to ESR for the 2nd. Am I wrong to think it's amazing?

Auba's flick to ESR for the 2nd. Am I wrong to think it's amazing?

I never played footie and don't really watch it other than us. I know that.

But that flick round the corner with his back to goal, perfectly weighted, seemed great to me.

But none of the highlights even talk about. MotD talk about Auba's celebration, not his flick.

Am I wrong? That an average Div 2 player should be expected to do that 9 times out of 10?

Or was it a really Wengaball flick like that Ozil outstep volley for Ollie? Sort of ting DB10 would have done?

In short, am I wrong to be really turned on by it?

Don't get me wrong. ESR, Saka and MO contributed even more on the day. Love them all.

But that flick to play ESR through as the first half of the 1-2 that led to the goal. That's what I like.

Love MO-ESR-BS for the first. Love ESR's ball to put BS away for the 3rd.

Even love GX's turn on the edge of our box to change 1-1 into 2-0. Apologies, Granit. That was tops.

But oh, that flick.

Maybe I'm wrong and should just stick to babyfoot and ket.

But that flick. That flick.

Flicks and eye of the needle passes are what I like. Apologies for being pîssed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

But that flick round the corner with his back to goal, perfectly weighted, seemed great to me.

But none of the highlights even talk about. MotD talk about Auba's celebration, not his flick.

Am I wrong? That an average Div 2 player should be expected to do that 9 times out of 10?

Or was it a really Wengaball flick like that Ozil outstep volley for Ollie? Sort of ting DB10 would have done?

Don't get me wrong. ESR, Saka and MO contributed even more on the day. Love them all.

But that flick to play ESR through as the first half of the 1-2 that led to the goal. That's what I like.

Even love GX's turn on the edge of our box to change 1-1 into 2-0. Apologies, Granit. That was tops.

But oh, that flick.

Flicks and eye of the needle passes are what I like. Apologies for being pîssed.
    You - like all proper Gooners - should be celebrating the victory, the performance and the future of this young team with enormous potential, including the manager.

And you should remember this when we next have a few bad performances and not reduce yourself to the level of the Bunnells of this world and begin questioning the manager before he's had the time he deserves.

I thought that was Auba's best lone CF performance since he's been at the club. Really held the ball up well and was winning headers from goal kicks and everything. The overall team performance again leaves a question mark over Pepe. As an individual he's a good player but I don't see him gelling the team together like Saka and EMR did yesterday. His game is far less direct and he likes to slow the play down and come inside with a lot of touches. The other two just want to get to the box as quick as possible with one touch passes and direct running. And it's clicking for them well with the Nordic fella.
    Feck Cultural Marxist BLM

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

But oh, that flick.

Twas a thing of beauty, worthy of Dennis (no higher praise thant that). Shame his touch wasn't quite so good after Partey's pass - because that too was wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    You - like all proper Gooners - should be celebrating the victory, the performance and the future of this young team with enormous potential, including the manager.

And you should remember this when we next have a few bad performances and not reduce yourself to the level of the Bunnells of this world and begin questioning the manager before he's had the time he deserves.
    Oh, I agree with all that. You notice I even apologised to Granit?

And if this team does come together, then we could go all in on a PV4 or Santi type to play between Party and the front 4, though I suspect that Laca will go and they'll prioritise a 23 year top drawer striker they hope will be the future.

{I worry that Pépé will end up leaving on a free eventually - MA doesn't like him, and today again showed why he wants 3 No.10s behind Auba and I'm including Saka in that. He's a winger who could play as a 10 like Bobby P was.}

But replacing GX with a young PV or Santi is the final piece of the first team jigsaw at the mo for me.

But was that flick sexy or am I just seeing things through red and white specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    I thought that was Auba's best lone CF performance since he's been at the club. Really held the ball up well and was winning headers from goal kicks and everything. The overall team performance again leaves a question mark over Pepe. As an individual he's a good player but I don't see him gelling the team together like Saka and EMR did yesterday. His game is far less direct and he likes to slow the play down and come inside with a lot of touches. The other two just want to get to the box as quick as possible with one touch passes and direct running. And it's clicking for them well with the Nordic fella.
    Agree about Auba's performance - like Titi did when he played a lone CF in Europe. Maybe we need Titi in the stands every week.

re: Pépé. Again, I agree. I've written something very similar to you in a reply to Wes just this second.

I fear he'll wind down his contract and leave on a free, esp if Martinelli takes his chance when the time comes for a rest, rotation, injury or substitution.

So sad we wasted all that money on him - esp when Unai didn't even want him.

He reminds me of that other Ivorian winger we had, Gerv, who again didn't fit one touch no.10s Wengaball.

The way MO-ESR-BS combined was heaven. Just like the good old days. Which is why I want GX replaced with another no.10 but one who can play box to box like Santi. Or a PV4 - a Partey type who can destroy and create.

I wonder if Azeez or Patino will make it?

But you're right. We need the 3 No.10s behind Auba - like the AW years when we didn't win leagues but before it all went wrong.

3 of Cesc, Nasri, AA and TR7 behind RVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Twas a thing of beauty, worthy of Dennis (no higher praise thant that). Shame his touch wasn't quite so good after Partey's pass - because that too was wonderful
    Oh, I agree. If he'd controlled that properly and scored, his - and the team's - confidence would be even higher. Hope he gets back to that level, and soon.

But I did think I was going mad when MotD spent ages analysing Auba's celebration but didn't even mention that flick. It was perfect.