Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profoundly 'Meh' about this Super League malarkey.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Indeed. Well said, as ever.

Even back when we decided to become the Woolwich Wanderers, something important died.

Can't cry for Wenger though; he's been one of the chief enablers, if not architects, of the whole global sell-out and sell-off of football for years. Though perhaps it was inevitable anyway, as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This has been coming down the road a long time and frankly I could no longer give a toss. We're all just soulless franchises now and have been for a while. English football's just another product to be marketed at chinks. Let them have it.

When we sold to Kroenke, we became just another club. When Wenger went, the last link to what the club used to be went with him and with it any emotional attachment. It's just been going through the motions since then. Given all which, I can't really get terribly exercised about this latest grubbiness

One thing I'm not having, however, is Sky Sports, the Premier League, newspaper pundits and that repulsive little commie Gary f*cking Neville getting on their high moral horses about it. The PL was no less of a carve-up by big clubs and only now they suddenly develop a problem with the idea? F*ck right off.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Indeed. Well said, as ever.

Even back when we decided to become the Woolwich Wanderers, something important died.

Can't cry for Wenger though; he's been one of the chief enablers, if not architects, of the whole global sell-out and sell-off of football for years. Though perhaps it was inevitable anyway, as you suggest.
    Quite. Even though I agree with much of what Burney posted, associating Wenger with the club we once were is pretty rich.

I seem to recall him being slated for bringing too many foreigners into our club, hammered for fielding an entirely foreign 11 and then absolutely murdered for moving us from Highbury.

And he wanted VAR too

In fact, he was brought in precisely BECAUSE we no longer wanted to be the club we once were.

If you follow me.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Quite. Even though I agree with much of what Burney posted, associating Wenger with the club we once were is pretty rich.

I seem to recall him being slated for bringing too many foreigners into our club, hammered for fielding an entirely foreign 11 and then absolutely murdered for moving us from Highbury.

And he wanted VAR too
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

In fact, he was brought in precisely BECAUSE we no longer wanted to be the club we once were.

If you follow me.
    He wa brought in because we wanted to be the club we once were once again. Bank of England, and all that.

That's boars, I'm afraid. We'd never been colonised, and I use the word advisedly, by Frenchmen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He wa brought in because we wanted to be the club we once were once again. Bank of England, and all that.

That's boars, I'm afraid. We'd never been colonised, and I use the word advisedly, by Frenchmen before.
    French lives matter, r.

Do you want to be cancelled?

Oh? Do YOU want to be cancelled? #blm #silence=violence

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    French lives matter, r.

Do you want to be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

And he wanted VAR too
    He was the last remaining link to Highbury, the marble halls, the Hill-Woods and the rest of it. Those are just facts. Whether you like him or not doesn't change those associations.

And VAR per se has never been a bad idea. The way it's been implemented, however, is a complete shambles. It should never have been put in the hands of the officials, who are naturally going to use it to cover their arses. It should have been an appeals-based system in the hands of the team captains as in cricket with a limited number of appeals available. Unless an appeal is made, the on-field decision stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He was the last remaining link to Highbury, the marble halls, the Hill-Woods and the rest of it. Those are just facts. Whether you like him or not doesn't change those associations.

And VAR per se has never been a bad idea. The way it's been implemented, however, is a complete shambles. It should never have been put in the hands of the officials, who are naturally going to use it to cover their arses. It should have been an appeals-based system in the hands of the team captains as in cricket with a limited number of appeals available. Unless an appeal is made, the on-field decision stays.
    same as the red flag challenge in NFL, the manager gets 1 challenge per half

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    same as the red flag challenge in NFL, the manager gets 1 challenge per half
    This has been blindingly obvious for ages, but UEFA being what it is, they committeed it until all the stakeholders were equally unhappy with it and it was total shít.