Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Shearer - Surely the most overrated striker of all time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alan Shearer - Surely the most overrated striker of all time?

I mean he was good but the vehement nature his fans are absolutely adament he's the greatest of all time is odd. 19 seasons in the top flight of course he's gonna have a ton of goals.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    I mean he was good but the vehement nature his fans are absolutely adament he's the greatest of all time is odd. 19 seasons in the top flight of course he's gonna have a ton of goals.
    I hated Shearer for years until winter 2001-2.

We lost to NU. At home, I think. 1-3.

Bobby Robson's side came from behind to beat Arsenal by two clear goals at Highbury on Tuesday night, although they needed a big helping hand from referee Graham Poll.

The Tring official incensed the home team by dismissing Ray Parlour at the end of the first half and then awarding the Magpies a controversial penalty with five minutes to go.

Titi was incensed at the final whistle. He went to do that coont Poll. Shearer saw Titi was about to batter Poll and jumped in and grabbed him. Calmed him down and walked him off the pitch.

NUFC went top, and if Titi had got sent off, we could have been screwed. But Shearer stopped that happening. We didn't lose another game and won the double.

I don't normally like northerners, but Shearer is a gent. Fact. Yes, he used his elbows, but so did Paul Davis. {Wasn't that against them?}

So now. Shearer's one of the good guys. He also turned down Fergie twice, when he could have gone to MU and won loadsa medals.

Civilised.

Yes, I wish he'd signed for us and joined Wrighty. But respect.

I hate England players and Norverners who don't play for us. But he's one of the very few exceptions. We might not have won the double at OT without him behaving like a gent. Top man.

He was very, very good. One of the best finishers I've seen. Just didn't offer much else apart from banging in 20+ goals a season

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    He was very, very good. One of the best finishers I've seen. Just didn't offer much else apart from banging in 20+ goals a season
    I been watching those Premier League years/goal shows on Sky sports and he was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    No doubt he was very good. A tremendous striker of the ball, but your last point is key. Other than banging them in what else did he offer that the truly best strikers do? Thierry could assist, dribble, run at pace, operate on the wing, operate up front on his own. Shearer can't do half of that. Good striker for sure. Top 10 no doubt, greatest of all time never! Rooney gets the same level of over generous praise as well.

No doubt he was very good. A tremendous striker of the ball, but your last point is key. Other than banging them in what else did he offer that the truly best strikers do? Thierry could assist, dribble, run at pace, operate on the wing, operate up front on his own. Shearer can't do half of that. Good striker for sure. Top 10 no doubt, greatest of all time never! Rooney gets the same level of over generous praise as well.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'd take TH14 over any other PL striker, every time. He was pretty much the perfect forward.

Shearer was brilliant, second only to Thierry in the Prem. The GOAT striker of English football is Greaves, that one isn't even up for debate tbh. Rooney can **** right off, his WC finals goals pathetic return alone means he doesn't get the praise that Utd fans prob think he deserves. Tbh I'm not sure all of them rate him that highly anyway.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    Shearer was brilliant, second only to Thierry in the Prem. The GOAT striker of English football is Greaves, that one isn't even up for debate tbh. Rooney can **** right off, his WC finals goals pathetic return alone means he doesn't get the praise that Utd fans prob think he deserves. Tbh I'm not sure all of them rate him that highly anyway.
    Uptick for Greaves. Just shy of 40, playing from midfield and rumoured to consume a bottle of vodka per match, he still scored 25 goals for Barnet in his one season there.

There's nothing wrong with over-rating your favourite players, imo.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

We should’ve signed Paulo Wanchope back in the day!

20 goals a season in our team