Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: "Burden of unpaid childcare falling increasingly again on women, ONS figures show"

"Burden of unpaid childcare falling increasingly again on women, ONS figures show"

Now don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to acknowledge that looking after children is utterly horrific, but can it be normal or healthy for it to be so casually described by an official government department as a "burden"?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Now don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to acknowledge that looking after children is utterly horrific, but can it be normal or healthy for it to be so casually described by an official government department as a "burden"?
    Pretty standard outcome of progressive thought, which regards motherhood and childcare as obstacles to be overcome on the road to sexual equality and those who choose to prioritise them over career as victims or just idiots.

This has gone terribly well, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Pretty standard outcome of progressive thought, which regards motherhood and childcare as obstacles to be overcome on the road to sexual equality and those who choose to prioritise them over career as victims or just idiots.

This has gone terribly well, naturally.
    It is rather ironic you two looking for some word to take offence over, like the wokes do.

I mean, you wouldn't claim that burden in the following sentence was pejorative:

"At free parties, the burden of lugging the speakers and amp racks up the stairs fell on those who didn't have the musical talent to DJ."

A burden can just be a responsibility. Personally, I don't find anything controversial in the claim "women more likely to be responsible for provision of unpaid child care."

But then, I'm not the sort of fückwit who goes out of his way to take offence at perfectly normal terms simply to signal which side of the culture war I'm on, so what would I know, eh?

Yo GG

I heard them goo ks used microwaves to burn up your boys on the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    It is rather ironic you two looking for some word to take offence over, like the wokes do.

I mean, you wouldn't claim that burden in the following sentence was pejorative:

"At free parties, the burden of lugging the speakers and amp racks up the stairs fell on those who didn't have the musical talent to DJ."

A burden can just be a responsibility. Personally, I don't find anything controversial in the claim "women more likely to be responsible for provision of unpaid child care."

But then, I'm not the sort of fückwit who goes out of his way to take offence at perfectly normal terms simply to signal which side of the culture war I'm on, so what would I know, eh?
    I'm not offended, honestly. I just think it's revealing that you would never see the corollary point made that the "burden of work is still falling primarily on men", even though this would arguably be a far more fitting use of the word, for many reasons.

The use of the term "burden" is far more relevant here than in your example, not least because lugging speakers and amp racks up the stairs signals a lower status than being a DJ in a way that looking after kids rather than working should not, and yet does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Yo GG

I heard them goo ks used microwaves to burn up your boys on the border.

Yer right, TC. The swine had also used clubs to murder us when the deal was no arms. And this is what they have in store for the rest of us in the west. Napoleon said that when China wakes up, the world will tremble. And he's right.

The west is divided, and we will fall as such. The lefties don't want us playing imperialists meaning China fills the void, doing what we did in the C19th - bribing local rulers to let us rob them blind in return for propping them up. We stopped because we knew this was bad, but it just means the Chînks do it instead.

They are an evil, Godless race who are, in many ways, worse than the Nazis. They're just doing it slower and more intelligently with better long term planning.

But we in the west don't care because we'd rather pull down statues of C18th slave traders rather than stop Chinese slavery in the C21st.

I wish the Septics had nuked the fück out of them in 1951, when they invaded Tibet.

I'm not offended, honestly. I just think it's revealing that you would never see the corollary point made that the "burden of work is still falling primarily on men", even though this would arguably be a far more fitting use of the word, for many reasons.

The use of the term "burden" is far more relevant here than in your example, not least because lugging speakers and amp racks up the stairs signals a lower status than being a DJ in a way that looking after kids rather than working should not, and yet does.
    Idiotic whataboutery. The male work you refer to isn't unpaid, and the whole point of the report concerns mental health issues over unpaid work.

{Oh, and we didn't have higher or lower status with sound systems, or as parties/festies. That was the whole point. I was being facetious, but if a DJ's lugging his record boxes up, he can't really help carry the amp racks. But it was all about the fact that the "band", road crew and audience were all equals, with no backstage or VIP areas. That's why, when a raver asked one of SP23 "Who are Spiral Tribe?" the answer was "You are."}

Well, anyone who chooses to have kids with a working partner does so in the knowledge that they probably won't get paid for looking after them.

But what the women referred to in the report also know about having kids - and what serves as a major incentive to do so - is that it is often their ticket to a very cushy life indeed, not least because once your kids reach 4 they are taken off your hands by the state for at least 6 hours a day, leaving lots of time for mummy lunches and spending sprees while experiencing no stigma at all for not working (a stigma that still very much exists for men, despite their apparent privilege)

A "burden" my hairy hebrew vagina.
    Last edited by Monty92; 12-10-2020 at 03:59 PM.

It's very odd. Having kids is, for many, the single greatest thing about life. Even if it's ****ing hard at times. Burden is a ****ty choice of word.