Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I appreciate that it's the modern way and that everyone is doing it

I appreciate that it's the modern way and that everyone is doing it

but not only is this 'high press' ruining football as a spectacle, it's also completely pointless.

Last night I watched 6 of our players press Molde in their defensive third, until finally their last option was for the 'keeper to go long. So the ball arrived with our centre half; all well and good, possession achieved. Sadly, the centre half had no options on to play the ball to as the poor sopds were all blowing out of their arses trying to recover from frantically sprinting around for the past two minutes.

The whole thing is an ugly, self-defeating nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    but not only is this 'high press' ruining football as a spectacle, it's also completely pointless.

Last night I watched 6 of our players press Molde in their defensive third, until finally their last option was for the 'keeper to go long. So the ball arrived with our centre half; all well and good, possession achieved. Sadly, the centre half had no options on to play the ball to as the poor sopds were all blowing out of their arses trying to recover from frantically sprinting around for the past two minutes.

I have to agree with you - it is a fad and will disappear, then the beautiful game will resume. Or they'll just come up with better drugs

Your mum is an ugly, self-defeating nonsense.

I agree though. Blame video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Your mum is an ugly, self-defeating nonsense.

I agree though. Blame video games.
    "Can we not knock it?"

I mean, if someone was brave enough not to engage and just went long...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I have to agree with you - it is a fad and will disappear, then the beautiful game will resume. Or they'll just come up with better drugs
    Meh. It isn't duller than Jose Mourinho's Chelsea. Nor George Graham's Arsenal for that matter. Or how about Italian football during the 70s. Is it is dull as that? Maybe the 94 WC final? Now that was dull.

The beautiful game has seen an awful lot of dullness. I found Pep's Barca pretty dull at times. Endless, innocuous possession followed by a moment of genius from Messi followed by being told this was the greatest and most entertaining team of all time. Meh.

I like watching teams play out from the back, it's better than a lump upfield that concedes possession 9 times out 10. I think what people are really complaining about is that we aren't very good. But that's been true for over 10 years now.

Mind you, they moaned endlessly before that, when we were good, and entertaining. This is just another moan that is best ignored.