Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm not happy about this vaccine news. Not happy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Not even close. Just off the top of my head Pascal Cygan, Igor Stepanovs, Sebastien Squillaci and Mikael Silvestre were all worse.
    No. Cygan was responsible for one of my fave ever moments. Winning 3-1 at Roma.

!-0 down after 4 mins. Then we equalise through Titi 1 min later. Later in the first half, Totti shoots. You see the goal. The keeper's beaten and it's going into an empty net on the far side. Then, as if by magic, Cygan's bald head appeared in the shot from nowhere and he cleared it off the line.

2 more for Titi in the 2nd half. Heroic win. All down to Pascal's magically appearing from nowhere. Far better defender that the 3 Ss you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    If things are back to normal in the spring then football will become football again.

And we're really, really poor. I mean like bad. NFG. As bad as I can remember. Badder than a team containing Martin Hayes and Ian Allinson. Worser than a team with Chris Whyte at centre half.

It's a piss poor outlook and no mistake.

A thread about bad defenders and no mention of the great Gus Caesar
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Not even close. Just off the top of my head Pascal Cygan, Igor Stepanovs, Sebastien Squillaci and Mikael Silvestre were all worse.
    Not so. Maybe Squillaci was close.

TV5 scored on his debut in a rout and we got our hopes up. Then there was that awful performance against Chelsea and he just got steadily worse.

He then, bizarrely, went to Barca and did fúck all, other than being unable to drive into their car park properly. Sums him up...

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Do you know, I rather suspect that when I typed Chris Whyte I was actually thinking of Gus Caeser. Poor old Gus. Nick Hornby made him famous for being rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Just because a man has a terrible game in a cup final, he only gets remembered for that?

Fair enough imo.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG2 View Post

TV5 scored on his debut in a rout and we got our hopes up. Then there was that awful performance against Chelsea and he just got steadily worse.

He then, bizarrely, went to Barca and did fúck all, other than being unable to drive into their car park properly. Sums him up...
    Cygan was far from a dreadful defender. In fact, on a couple of occasions he was the only player in our team who exhibited some self-belief and a pair of cojones. Am I thinking about a home game against Chelsea when we looked beaten before kick off?

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG2 View Post

To be fair, Barcelona bought a number of our players when they were either past their sell-by date, knackered or hadn't quite hacked it with us. I sometimes got the feeling they did it just to annoy us.

Wasn't Vermaelen rumoured to have had a particularly ruinous habit?

Cygan was far from a dreadful defender. In fact, on a couple of occasions he was the only player in our team who exhibited some self-belief and a pair of cojones. Am I thinking about a home game against Chelsea when we looked beaten before kick off?
    Never said he was dreadful. Just that he was worse than Vermaelen. What was that game where Cygan scored two late goals?

Never said he was dreadful. Just that he was worse than Vermaelen. What was that game where Cygan scored two late goals?
    Golly yes, I was on the north bank for that game... he was serenaded as Pascal Zidane. Or Zinedine Cygan, I remember not. Nor could I say who were the opposition. In short, I've gone all Alzheimery.

Golly yes, I was on the north bank for that game... he was serenaded as Pascal Zidane. Or Zinedine Cygan, I remember not. Nor could I say who were the opposition. In short, I've gone all Alzheimery.
    I was there as well, but was at the Clock End. I seem to remember it was a midweek game, but this could be nonsense. No idea as to the opposition.

This is the sort of situation where la could actually make himself useful for once.