Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Anyone 'in the know' heard anything about what is really happening with Ozil?

Anyone 'in the know' heard anything about what is really happening with Ozil?

How many teams in the history of football paid someone the equivalent of 350K a week and didn't even put him in the league squad, I wonder?

You would have thought that some sort of sensible conclusion could have been reached.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    How many teams in the history of football paid someone the equivalent of 350K a week and didn't even put him in the league squad, I wonder?

You would have thought that some sort of sensible conclusion could have been reached.
    I just hope it has nothing to do with his decision to not give up his salary to help Kroenke. Before lockdown I thought Arteta and Ozil had a good relationship.

I'm certainly not "in the know" but I very much doubt it's about mere football anymore.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Honestly I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, I've always liked Arsenal have operated with a level of class, and this Ozil situation would have never happened under past management. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Plus there's the fact that he's a 350k a week player that we can't even utilise.

On the other hand. Clubs more successful than us (Barca, Real) are ruthless as **** and this type of behaviour is normal to them and the trophies pour in.

At the end of the day if Arteta keeps on having a decent win ratio I really won't give a **** about Ozil and his feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    Honestly I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand, I've always liked Arsenal have operated with a level of class, and this Ozil situation would have never happened under past management. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Plus there's the fact that he's a 350k a week player that we can't even utilise.

On the other hand. Clubs more successful than us (Barca, Real) are ruthless as **** and this type of behaviour is normal to them and the trophies pour in.

At the end of the day if Arteta keeps on having a decent win ratio I really won't give a **** about Ozil and his feelings.
    I think it shows a winning mentality by Arteta tbh. Ozil cleary doesn't fit in to his plans and the money he's being paid makes no difference. As you say maybe it's time for the ruthless approach. Wenger got away with being the lovable softy old uncle/grandad for at least 10 years then players started to take advantage. A brave new Arsenal is emerging and it's down to one guy. wd MA imo.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    I think it shows a winning mentality by Arteta tbh. Ozil cleary doesn't fit in to his plans and the money he's being paid makes no difference. As you say maybe it's time for the ruthless approach. Wenger got away with being the lovable softy old uncle/grandad for at least 10 years then players started to take advantage. A brave new Arsenal is emerging and it's down to one guy. wd MA imo.
    Oh I agree completely with that, I just wonder what it is that Ozil has done. Purely football? Or you think maybe MA sees him as a poor role model for the younger players?

The latter Wenger years of players like Ozil and Ramsey strolling around completely uninterested in their defensive responsibilities yet being trotted out there game after game are something I don't recall with any fondness.

Oh I agree completely with that, I just wonder what it is that Ozil has done. Purely football? Or you think maybe MA sees him as a poor role model for the younger players?

The latter Wenger years of players like Ozil and Ramsey strolling around completely uninterested in their defensive responsibilities yet being trotted out there game after game are something I don't recall with any fondness.
    I'd guess maybe he doesn't fit the work ethic or the tempo Arteta wants. Then there's the China/muslim business which he spoke out about, I don't know much about it but I don't think the club were too pleased, losing live games and revenue from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    That's that explained then

I think that too. But as W says, you'd have hoped they could have worked something out.

Heedyots.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    I'd guess maybe he doesn't fit the work ethic or the tempo Arteta wants. Then there's the China/muslim business which he spoke out about, I don't know much about it but I don't think the club were too pleased, losing live games and revenue from it.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."