Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My missus us a better WK than Buttler. Those 3 yesterday were flukes. Foakes ton,

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Let's see how India goes first - potentially ten Tests against them before the next Ashes and that will have a big bearing on the team. Rashid has to prove his shoulder is up for Test cricket, which I very much doubt it is, sadly.
    I doubt Rashid is a serious contender anymore. Moeen was clearly being lined up as England's spin option, but sadly he forgot how to bat and bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Fit or not, he'll be 40. I'd offer good odds Anderson doesn't play in Australia. The nature of the selections this summer tells you that Silverwood and Root are looking at establishing a post-Anderson bowling attack prior to going into that Ashes series.
    Rich's seam attack for Australia (any 4 from):

Broad
    Olly Stone
    Saqib Mahmood
    Archer
    Wood
    George Garton

Plus:

Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Broad
    Olly Stone
    Saqib Mahmood
    Archer
    Wood
    George Garton

Plus:

Stokes
    At the moment, I'd say Archer, Wood and Broad are first pick and the others are scrabbling for the other slot. That may change in a year, though, of course.

They're going to take Woakes, though. They just will. It's what England selectors do. They'll use phrases like 'He can do a job for us' and 'Look at the summer he's just had' and he'll end up bowling gun-barrel straight all series and taking about seven wickets at 40-odd.

At the moment, I'd say Archer, Wood and Broad are first pick and the others are scrabbling for the other slot. That may change in a year, though, of course.

They're going to take Woakes, though. They just will. It's what England selectors do. They'll use phrases like 'He can do a job for us' and 'Look at the summer he's just had' and he'll end up bowling gun-barrel straight all series and taking about seven wickets at 40-odd.
    Depends how Root wants to use Archer and Wood, though. If they want to limit their workload to say a maximum of 3 x 5 over spells per innings then it leaves a lot of slack for the others to pick up.

Depends how Root wants to use Archer and Wood, though. If they want to limit their workload to say a maximum of 3 x 5 over spells per innings then it leaves a lot of slack for the others to pick up.
    Agreed. I'm not convinced by the 5-over thing with Archer, though. He takes three or four to hit his rhythm and coming off after five clearly seems to frustrate him. There's a balance to be found between overbowling him as Root did in NZ and underbowling him as he did in this test.

I'd say Broad and Stokes as stock bowlers plus whatever excuse for a 'spinner' we take should be sufficient to accommodate the quicks, though.

Agreed. I'm not convinced by the 5-over thing with Archer, though. He takes three or four to hit his rhythm and coming off after five clearly seems to frustrate him. There's a balance to be found between overbowling him as Root did in NZ and underbowling him as he did in this test.

I'd say Broad and Stokes as stock bowlers plus whatever excuse for a 'spinner' we take should be sufficient to accommodate the quicks, though.
    Archer needs to bowl with pace. He did in the first innings of this game, at times. But on many other occasions he was the 'slowest' of England's seamers. He seems to bring everything in to the right hander (seam rather than swing) so either needs to ensure his pace is strong or find a way to nibble it away off the seam as well.

I'm a big fan of Broad's 'celebrappeal' where he wraps the batsman on the pads and runs of celebrating to the slips rather than bother to check with the umpire for his decision.

Archer needs to bowl with pace. He did in the first innings of this game, at times. But on many other occasions he was the 'slowest' of England's seamers. He seems to bring everything in to the right hander (seam rather than swing) so either needs to ensure his pace is strong or find a way to nibble it away off the seam as well.

I'm a big fan of Broad's 'celebrappeal' where he wraps the batsman on the pads and runs of celebrating to the slips rather than bother to check with the umpire for his decision.
    I agree that someone needs to tell him that we don't have any shortage of blokes who can bowl at 84-85mph (indeed, you couldn't throw a dart in most county dressing rooms without hitting one) and that isn't why he's in the side.
    I like Broad's appeal, too. Although it does look bad when it gets turned down.

Broad
    Olly Stone
    Saqib Mahmood
    Archer
    Wood
    George Garton

Plus:

Stokes
    Garton is an interesting one - seems to have been around for a while but only 23. Best option of a left-hander - but you know Curran will be picked

I agree that someone needs to tell him that we don't have any shortage of blokes who can bowl at 84-85mph (indeed, you couldn't throw a dart in most county dressing rooms without hitting one) and that isn't why he's in the side.
    I like Broad's appeal, too. Although it does look bad when it gets turned down.
    I'd rather use Stokes as a 4-5 over "shock" bowler and Archer bowl longer spells. We aren't going to find a magic spinner - if we can just find one that can tie an end down (I hate to say it but an Ashley Giles-figure) it would make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I'd rather use Stokes as a 4-5 over "shock" bowler and Archer bowl longer spells. We aren't going to find a magic spinner - if we can just find one that can tie an end down (I hate to say it but an Ashley Giles-figure) it would make a difference
    Due to his superhuman fitness, Stokes seems quire happy to bowl long spells - even when bowling short stuff.
    Agree about a Giles-type figure. That's the advantage a left-armer has, of course. If all else fails they can just bowl at the rough outside leg and prevent scoring.
    You've reminded me about Curran, which has distressed me. They're going to take him and Woakes to Australia, aren't they?