Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These scenes from the States remind me of the London riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Quite so. But as ever in these things, he's long since ceased to be relevant to any of this. This is now just America having one of its regular racial spaz-attacks. The only thing that's unusual this time is that it's being cheered on by the media, big business, celebs and quite a lot of politicians.
    We also do that quite well - can anyone remember the name of the bloke whose death sparked the 2011 riots?

I was talking to someone the other day about Brixton. She was gushing about what a lovely place it is and would love to live there. I tried to explain what it was like in the early 80s (my Dad owned a garage in Herne Hill - needless to say he did a lot of business around the riots) - and she was having none of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    We also do that quite well - can anyone remember the name of the bloke whose death sparked the 2011 riots?

I was talking to someone the other day about Brixton. She was gushing about what a lovely place it is and would love to live there. I tried to explain what it was like in the early 80s (my Dad owned a garage in Herne Hill - needless to say he did a lot of business around the riots) - and she was having none of it.
    Mark Duggan. A revolting little gangster killed in an entirely justifiable shooting. Thing about 2011, though, was that it wasn't explicitly racial in nature. There were as many white toerags as black toerags looting and burning.

And yes, it's weird just how gentrified Herne Hill and Brixton are now. Our main office is in HH now and the area is very nice indeed.

Needless to say, Thornton Heath has somehow resisted gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

Mark Duggan - he cropped up on my Twitter feed. In a thread about how the UK is racist. And here's the proof.

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mark Duggan. A revolting little gangster killed in an entirely justifiable shooting. Thing about 2011, though, was that it wasn't explicitly racial in nature. There were as many white toerags as black toerags looting and burning.

And yes, it's weird just how gentrified Herne Hill and Brixton are now. Our main office is in HH now and the area is very nice indeed.

Needless to say, Thornton Heath has somehow resisted gentrification.
    I am not hugely surprised by that - fortunately I have had no reason to go there in some years

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Mark Duggan - he cropped up on my Twitter feed. In a thread about how the UK is racist. And here's the proof.

Hey, the police also murdered those poor innocent brown people in London Bridge who were just minding their business stabbing people a few years ago. Clear evidence of institutional racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    https://twitter.com/adriannormandc/s...055387136?s=21

NY all washed up...cops getting mowed down.

-

It’s quite amusing to see the progressives cheer this on but when their own business and homes gets targeted it’s completely different.
    Also, every cop who sees that is understandably going to be much more likely to use their weapon to protect themselves in any 50:50 situation, at which point everyone will scream 'murder' and round and round we go ad infinitum.

Well done everyone.