Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen will address nation on VE Day anniversary before public singalong of

Queen will address nation on VE Day anniversary before public singalong of

"We'll Meet Again."

This is fantastic news. I must confess I had thought Her Majesty was being a little disingenuous when she last addressed us but this has changed my mind. Berni said that she possesses a preternatural ability to gauge the mood of her subjects and this is proof.

Why I'll even go so far as to say that even a caustic old cynic like b will be standing on his doorstep come VE day and will join in with what will be a deeply emotional moment for our Kingdom. I suspect that when the song reaches its poignant chorus, "Won't you please say hello, to the folks that I know" a manly tear will escape even Berni's rather life-jaundiced eye.

God bless Her Majesty!
    Last edited by Herbert Augustus Chapman; 04-29-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    "We'll Meet Again."

This is fantastic news. I must confess I had thought Her Majesty was being a little disingenuous when she last addressed us but this has changed my mind. Berni said that she possesses a preternatural ability to gauge the mood of her subjects and this is proof.

Why I'll even go so far as to say that even a caustic old cynic like b will be standing on his doorstep come VE day and will join in with what will be a deeply emotional moment for our Kingdom. I suspect that when the song reaches its poignant chorus, "Won't you please say hello, to the folks that I know" a manly tear will escape even Berni's rather life-jaundiced eye.

God bless Her Majesty!
    My old mate Jack Currie, RIP, was disciplined whilst training with the USAAF for refusing to lead a singalong of “We’ll meet again” to raise morale amongst students. When questioned as to why he was refusing he admitted, “I can’t sing it because it’s bilge Sir!”

With all respect c I imagine your friend was a bit of a frost. My mum said she'd always thought the song, "We'll meet again" is the voice of a fallen soldier to his sweetheart back in blighty

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My old mate Jack Currie, RIP, was disciplined whilst training with the USAAF for refusing to lead a singalong of “We’ll meet again” to raise morale amongst students. When questioned as to why he was refusing he admitted, “I can’t sing it because it’s bilge Sir!”
    Hear him! Hear him! A truly godawful song.

I still can't quite believe Dame Vera Lynn is still knocking about, though. It's kept her in fishfingers all these years, I imagine.

You'll sing along with Her Majesty though Berni surely? Do you suppose we'll have

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hear him! Hear him! A truly godawful song.

I still can't quite believe Dame Vera Lynn is still knocking about, though. It's kept her in fishfingers all these years, I imagine.
    to change the words slighty?

One'll meet again
    don't know weer, don't know win?

I'll be lonely and blue
    I'll be waving at you
    from my castle near Slough

With all respect c I imagine your friend was a bit of a frost. My mum said she'd always thought the song, "We'll meet again" is the voice of a fallen soldier to his sweetheart back in blighty
    A frost? A frost? The man flew two tours on Lancasters and then a third on Mosquitos. He’s a ****ing hero, you jobbie tugging nonce!

"We'll Meet Again."

God bless Her Majesty!
    Shocking choice, she's totally out of touch with her own nation. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is the one true song that brings us all together. Silly cow.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A frost? A frost? The man flew two tours on Lancasters and then a third on Mosquitos. He’s a ****ing hero, you jobbie tugging nonce!
    Blimey! How long were these tours? I seem to recall Bomber Command increased their length throughout the war. Either way, surviving that lot is some serious odds-defying.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    Shocking choice, she's totally out of touch with her own nation. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is the one true song that brings us all together. Silly cow.
    She should open with 'Whaddaya think of Tottenham?' and go from there into a full-blown, no-holds-barred version of 'We hate Tottenham', including the racial epithets and gas noises.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Blimey! How long were these tours? I seem to recall Bomber Command increased their length throughout the war. Either way, surviving that lot is some serious odds-defying.
    The first tour was 30 missions and the second 20. On Mosquitos he flew an especially adapted high altitude version collecting weather data over Germany before raids. He said it was quite amusing stooging around over Berlin in an unarmed aircraft knowing the Germans had nothing that could fly fast enough or high enough to reach him.

Or nothing that he knew of yet...