Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost my shoe at this match. Never got it back.

I lost my shoe at this match. Never got it back.

Yup, shoe. Not trainer. Went straight from work to the game. When Allison scored, the pushing and shoving was intense and I ended up well away from my starting place.

Anyhow, we were talking about social distancing and it made me think about the most squashed in I ever have been (it was either that night at Spurs or except maybe Juventus at Highbury in 1980 - "it's ****ing hot in here, it's...) 1980's style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJbTwOQoQU

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Balls View Post
    Yup, shoe. Not trainer. Went straight from work to the game. When Allison scored, the pushing and shoving was intense and I ended up well away from my starting place.

Anyhow, we were talking about social distancing and it made me think about the most squashed in I ever have been (it was either that night at Spurs or except maybe Juventus at Highbury in 1980 - "it's ****ing hot in here, it's...) 1980's style.

I was at both those games. I reckon the Juve game was the most squashed I have ever been. The queue for the NB turnstiles went halfway down Avenell Road and for about 50 years my feet weren’t touching the ground. Mental, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Balls View Post

v Forest early 80s. . Last minute winner. Might have been Rix. There was a life threatening surge. Iirc
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    v Forest early 80s. . Last minute winner. Might have been Rix. There was a life threatening surge. Iirc
    Everton Littlewoods cup semi - lost my shoe that day but somehow got it back. It was a few days after United in the cup and McLair's penalty. Has that come down yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Given that such surges were a commonplace in the pre-Taylor Report era, it does seem genuinely extraordinary that anyone who had ever attended a football match could possibly have thought fencing supporters in was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Everton Littlewoods cup semi - lost my shoe that day but somehow got it back. It was a few days after United in the cup and McLair's penalty. Has that come down yet?
    I'm with you here. The Everton S/F wa sprobably the worst, I got crushed against a barrier and nearly passed out. Somebody pulled me clear, if we had had fences then it would have made Hillsborough look like a street party.

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    I'm with you here. The Everton S/F wa sprobably the worst, I got crushed against a barrier and nearly passed out. Somebody pulled me clear, if we had had fences then it would have made Hillsborough look like a street party.
    yes - wd the Arsenal for never putting them up

yes - wd the Arsenal for never putting them up
    I remember an article in the programme around that time by Sir Hill-Wood père, promising that we would never be caged.

Dear old Denis. Peter. Whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I remember an article in the programme around that time by Sir Hill-Wood père, promising that we would never be caged.

Dear old Denis. Peter. Whichever.
    Denis was the daddy - and also as it turns out played First-Class cricket (albeit for Derbyshire). wd dhw
    Last edited by Luis Anaconda; 04-27-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Denis was the daddy - and also as it turns out played First-Class cricket (albeit for Derbyshire). wd dhw
    Is there any other club with such strong cricketing history as Arsenal, la?

I had no idea Brian Close played for our reserves/youth, btw.

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/?p=10763