Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raan

Raan

This Sunday I intend to try my first attempt at Raan (not naan) in the tandoor, Has anyone done one before or have any tips?

TA!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    This Sunday I intend to try my first attempt at Raan (not naan) in the tandoor, Has anyone done one before or have any tips?

TA!!
    Sadly I have no experience of the raan or the tandoor, so I have ****a le for you. Except I’d like to know if you can control the temperature of the tandoor to do a slow cook, or is it always screaming hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Sadly I have no experience of the raan or the tandoor, so I have ****a le for you. Except I’d like to know if you can control the temperature of the tandoor to do a slow cook, or is it always screaming hot?
    You can reduce the heat, adding less charcoal to the bottom and cooking a bit later. It is an art that after three years, I still haven't mastered - probably never will, but they are wonderful things.

You can reduce the heat, adding less charcoal to the bottom and cooking a bit later. It is an art that after three years, I still haven't mastered - probably never will, but they are wonderful things.
    I wish you joy of it, ti. The raan looks like a wonderful dish, good luck.

TA!!
    Do you make rotis? I love a tandoor roti, me. And the missus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Do you make rotis? I love a tandoor roti, me. And the missus.
    I do my own roti, but they are just dry pan fried and then deep fried if I fancy a poori.

I do my own roti, but they are just dry pan fried and then deep fried if I fancy a poori.
    Do you have south Asian heritage ti, or are you simply a cracker with a fine understanding of the cuisine of the sub continent?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Do you have south Asian heritage ti, or are you simply a cracker with a fine understanding of the cuisine of the sub continent?
    I am as English as you can be from teh Isle of Wight! Traced back to 1740 there. Just love the food so much and lived in Manchester for 14 years so picked up a lot there. In the 80s the little genuine Asian shops had halal butcher's counters at the back, differnt whole spices on the shelves and weird veg at the front were a real wonder. The owners were always ready to chat about food, especially as white faces in those areas then tended to be very rare and not usually that welcoming. Quite lovely!

I am as English as you can be from teh Isle of Wight! Traced back to 1740 there. Just love the food so much and lived in Manchester for 14 years so picked up a lot there. In the 80s the little genuine Asian shops had halal butcher's counters at the back, differnt whole spices on the shelves and weird veg at the front were a real wonder. The owners were always ready to chat about food, especially as white faces in those areas then tended to be very rare and not usually that welcoming. Quite lovely!
    This is a heartwarming story of diversity ti. I think there’s a lesson there for us all.

Will you take a pic of your raan and show us on a Monday?

Why can't you just stick the flattened dough to the inside of the tandoor like they do in India to make the rotis? They just use a big ball of cloth to keep their hands safe.