Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The mantra is really starting to grate now. Stay home, Protect The NHS, Save lives ..

The mantra is really starting to grate now. Stay home, Protect The NHS, Save lives ..

The way it has to be crowbarred into every non answer. Each time I hear it I see Cummings' çunt ugly face.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    The way it has to be crowbarred into every non answer. Each time I hear it I see Cummings' çunt ugly face.
    If only the Tories could point to a previous, perhaps even recent, example of when repeating the same short, memorable phrase over and over and over again had the desired effect.

Yes m. A general Election and a pandemic .. total equivalence.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    If only the Tories could point to a previous, perhaps even recent, example of when ramming home the same short, memorable phrase over and over and over again had the desired effect.
    . . . . . . .

. . . . . . .
    If anything, I'd say this kind of consistent messaging is likely to be even more effective in a situation like a pandemic.

In a General Election, you can quite reasonably imagine some people getting sufficiently irritated by the repetition that they feel less inclined to vote for those propogating it.

It's harder to imagine people annoyed by the "Stay home, save lives" message will react by doing the *opposite* of what the message asks of them.

If anything, I'd say this kind of consistent messaging is likely to be even more effective in a situation like a pandemic.

In a General Election, you can quite reasonably imagine some people getting sufficiently irritated by the repetition that they feel less inclined to vote for those propogating it.

It's harder to imagine people annoyed by the "Stay home, save lives" message will react by doing the *opposite* of what the message asks of them.
    And of course, it's working. We're observing the rules more effectively than any other country. It's almost like good messaging works.

And actually, the messaging thing in GEs isn't counterproductive, as all the polling shows that the time at which it starts to grate with the tiny minority of political nerds like us is actually when it's just starting to cut through with the majority of people.
    Last edited by Burney; 04-15-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    And of course, it's working. We're observing the rules more effectively than any other country. It's almost like good messaging works.

And actually, the messaging thing in GEs isn't counterproductive, as all the polling shows that the time at which it starts to grate with the tiny minority of political nerds like us is actually when it's just starting to cut through with the majority of people.
    Your second point was going to be my main point. To political campaign strategists people like you and me are treated as utterly irrelevant - and this is something they openly acknowledge. The people they care about reaching are those who spend the least time thinking about politics.

I must respectfully differ m. The efficacy of a slogan as a tool of persuasion has

gained orthodoxy among Tories who believe that it delivered their thumping majority. I believe that the horror of Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbot et al, along with the correct suspicion that Brexit was being subverted, would have delivered the same majority with or without the mantra.

The new "Red Wall" will inevitably collapse in five years time, due to the horrendous privations about to descend on us all and the failure of Brexit to deliver anything but a cheap supply of little Union Jacks. The tories will doubtless conjure up some three word magic spell in the belief it will save them. It won't.

Your second point was going to be my main point. To political campaign strategists people like you and me are treated as utterly irrelevant - and this is something they openly acknowledge. The people they care about reaching are those who spend the least time thinking about politics.
    And rightly so. Because of course one is usually 'interested in politics' because one has already chosen one's side. It's the still-persuadable they care about.

gained orthodoxy among Tories who believe that it delivered their thumping majority. I believe that the horror of Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbot et al, along with the correct suspicion that Brexit was being subverted, would have delivered the same majority with or without the mantra.

The new "Red Wall" will inevitably collapse in five years time, due to the horrendous privations about to descend on us all and the failure of Brexit to deliver anything but a cheap supply of little Union Jacks. The tories will doubtless conjure up some three word magic spell in the belief it will save them. It won't.
    But it's not just the last election. It's also the Brexit vote ('Take Back Control') and by contrast, the lack of a positive, proactive message in 2017 ('Strong and Stable', ffs!)

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But it's not just the last election. It's also the Brexit vote ('Take Back Control') and by contrast, the lack of a positive, proactive message in 2017 ('Strong and Stable', ffs!)
    I'm not convinced the slogan that was to blame, it was more the fact it was coming out of Theresa May's mouth. She'd have made "Get Brexit Done" sound like an apology. When Tory support completely collapsed to allow Blair in it wasn't anything to do with Labour mantras, it was the loss of the belief of Tory financial acumen caused by Black Wednesday (and many other factors).

I don't think any message, however brilliantly contrived, could have saved the day for the tories in '97 any more than the most lame messaging could have lost them this election just gone.