Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So some HR advice guys...

So some HR advice guys...

Was working for a company for the last 8 years but in late December their main rival reached out to me and after a month of negotiating I joined them in February with a hefty pay rise.

Thing is...they sent out an email asking people to volunteer to a 4 day work week with a 20% pay cut between April and August.

Apparently I’m won of an extremely small group who have said no.

In my case there’s a reason for that...the deadline for volunteering was last Friday but I only found out about this on Wednesday evening.

How i found out is compete joke - my manager emailed me and asked me to fill in an online calendar specifying which days I’ll be taking off during the 4 day work week.

I replied - I’ve got no idea what this is about and then he called me about it.

Apparently this was discussed extensively with everyone else during March and leading up to the Friday deadline but due to admin / it errors i was accidentally excluded.

What would you guys do?

I think it’s out of order asking me this so soon after joining and it’s volunteer only so don’t want to be blackmailed into accepting.

Not sure of the correct way to explain this to them without sounding like a grade a c Ock. Also I don’t want this to be a thing that affects my future here ie my probation.

I’ve also got no time to decide properly like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Was working for a company for the last 8 years but in late December their main rival reached out to me and after a month of negotiating I joined them in February with a hefty pay rise.

Thing is...they sent out an email asking people to volunteer to a 4 day work week with a 20% pay cut between April and August.

Apparently I’m won of an extremely small group who have said no.

In my case there’s a reason for that...the deadline for volunteering was last Friday but I only found out about this on Wednesday evening.

How i found out is compete joke - my manager emailed me and asked me to fill in an online calendar specifying which days I’ll be taking off during the 4 day work week.

I replied - I’ve got no idea what this is about and then he called me about it.

Apparently this was discussed extensively with everyone else during March and leading up to the Friday deadline but due to admin / it errors i was accidentally excluded.

What would you guys do?

I think it’s out of order asking me this so soon after joining and it’s volunteer only so don’t want to be blackmailed into accepting.

Not sure of the correct way to explain this to them without sounding like a grade a c Ock. Also I don’t want this to be a thing that affects my future here ie my probation.

I’ve also got no time to decide properly like everyone else.
    The strong likelihood is that this is being done to forestall or minimise the number of redundancies. By accepting this paycut now, you could be saving your job long-term. Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The strong likelihood is that this is being done to forestall or minimise the number of redundancies. By accepting this paycut now, you could be saving your job long-term. Your call.
    or he could offer a deferral of 20% of wages for a couple of months...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    or he could offer a deferral of 20% of wages for a couple of months...
    Sure. But as the new guy who'll cost nothing to get rid of if it does come to redundancies, sticking his head above the parapet early doors by not going along with the pay cut is...bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sure. But as the new guy who'll cost nothing to get rid of if it does come to redundancies, sticking his head above the parapet early doors by not going along with the pay cut is...bold.
    Almost taking a gamble?

Soz T
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

I know right...

Thanks guys.

I think I’m going to gamble on this.

If they say to me it’s mandatory then fine...I’ll do it...but voluntary? Yeah I’ll gamble. By September my license will be up so no more CRB checks and a lot more opportunities.

-

If I was still at my old company I would take the pay cut...only because they were willing to ignore my record and give me a chance all them years ago but these new guys poached me....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    I know right...

Thanks guys.

I think I’m going to gamble on this.

If they say to me it’s mandatory then fine...I’ll do it...but voluntary? Yeah I’ll gamble. By September my license will be up so no more CRB checks and a lot more opportunities.

-

If I was still at my old company I would take the pay cut...only because they were willing to ignore my record and give me a chance all them years ago but these new guys poached me....
    Go for it, T

My company asked if I'd take a pay cut. I said no.
    I've got an ex-wife to pay for, FFS.

Lots of companies are on a sticky patch with this sort of thing. They ask you to take a pay cut to avoid making people redundant. However, if you decline they either a) breach your contract or b) have to make you redundant.

If b) then, often, the position isn't actually redundant = unfair dismissal claim.

One thing is for sure, the lawyers will be making hay when all this is over.

Furlough? the next PPI imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”