Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else play 8-bit computer games in the '80s? I've just downloaded a C64

Did anyone else play 8-bit computer games in the '80s? I've just downloaded a C64

emulator.

I hadn't played any computer games since the late '80s, but the other day I turned my iPhone into a gamepad controller and downloaded a racing game called Asphalt. Finding the phone control tricky, I got a joystick yesterday.

I tried a few modern games, but in the end, downloaded a C64 emulator and played Dropzone. I thought it would look dodgy given a C64 screen is 320x200 bits and my 27" monitor is currently running and 3.2x1.8k.

But it's tops. And as the joystick has many buttons and can control the cloak and smart bomb from it as well. As a kid, I so wished we had joysticks with more than one fire button. And now, 30+ years later, I do. It's heaven. I feel like a teen again.

No Ganpz. I was a Clock end tearaway. Too busy fighting, fúcking and drinking for any

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    emulator.

I hadn't played any computer games since the late '80s, but the other day I turned my iPhone into a gamepad controller and downloaded a racing game called Asphalt. Finding the phone control tricky, I got a joystick yesterday.
    of that.

. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    of that.

. . . . .
    Middle class girlies like me could only live your life virtually, Herbs. In the safety of my bedroom, I played Microprose International Soccer, Codemasters' Multi-player Football Manager and Gremlin Graphics' Casual Hoolies.

The last game was great. You chose your team and then rucked with the opponents a bit like street fighter. As you progressed, you got extra clobber and bonus weapons like beer bottles, but the end of level baddie was a black maria full of fuzz. It was the first C64 game to have a speech sample just from the computer's sound chip. If you pressed the space bar, the music stopped and it said "Where's your fücking tool." It was ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    emulator.

I tried a few modern games, but in the end, downloaded a C64 emulator and played Dropzone. I thought it would look dodgy given a C64 screen is 320x200 bits and my 27" monitor is currently running and 3.2x1.8k.

But it's tops. And as the joystick has many buttons and can control the cloak and smart bomb from it as well. As a kid, I so wished we had joysticks with more than one fire button. And now, 30+ years later, I do. It's heaven. I feel like a teen again.
    I was 15 in 1980, so far too old for games.

Football and that fat Greek chick with the big hooter took up most of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

We wuz ruckin' up the Norf Bank w'unt we boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    We wuz ruckin' up the Norf Bank w'unt we boy.
    Well, stranding on the norf bank exhorting the Clock End to ‘do your job’, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Nana Mouskouri? I didn't know you knew her

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Nana Mouskouri? I didn't know you knew her
    I'm imagining a sort of strategically-shaved Demis Roussos.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm imagining a sort of strategically-shaved Demis Roussos.
    that just suggests self-isolation is really getting to you b

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    that just suggests self-isolation is really getting to you b
    It may be the fact that I'm running a temperature, too.