Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Covid-19 thingy could actually be quite good fun

This Covid-19 thingy could actually be quite good fun

as my summer holiday plans are now shot to hell, Mrs WES has floated the idea of buying a really upscale barbie and spending the summer in the garden.

And as this paranoid American bank of mine has everyone at home, I could spend the summer doing very little work and mostly be in my garden drinking beer/wine and eating all sorts of barbecued meat. With a fairly regular trip up to my village local.

I can think of worse things imo

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    as my summer holiday plans are now shot to hell, Mrs WES has floated the idea of buying a really upscale barbie and spending the summer in the garden.

And as this paranoid American bank of mine has everyone at home, I could spend the summer doing very little work and mostly be in my garden drinking beer/wine and eating all sorts of barbecued meat. With a fairly regular trip up to my village local.

I can think of worse things imo
    You're going to buy a gas one, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You're going to buy a gas one, aren't you?
    Nope

Undecided between just an upscale but normal barbie or one of the 2k wons.

You bought an eggy thing, did you not? Worth it in the end?

Nope

Undecided between just an upscale but normal barbie or one of the 2k wons.

You bought an eggy thing, did you not? Worth it in the end?
    It is my most precious possession.

With a Kamado Joe Big Joe plus Joetisserie, you can smoke, slow cook, grill or rotisserie. You need to take some time to learn temperature control and you need to show some care and attention, but it's all so satisfying

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It is my most precious possession.

With a Kamado Joe Big Joe plus Joetisserie, you can smoke, slow cook, grill or rotisserie. You need to take some time to learn temperature control and you need to show some care and attention, but it's all so satisfying
    Hmmm - I have read many good reviews and youtube is filled with very appealing videos.

What I don't understand, is why these egg thingys are that much better than just a good charcoal BBQ like this:

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...SAAEgKfW_D_BwE

Hmmm - I have read many good reviews and youtube is filled with very appealing videos.

What I don't understand, is why these egg thingys are that much better than just a good charcoal BBQ like this:

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...SAAEgKfW_D_BwE
    I think it's something to do with the ability to control the temperature. It's all very clever. There are probes and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think it's something to do with the ability to control the temperature. It's all very clever. There are probes and everything.
    Possibly it is just my ignorance, but barbecuing is sort of like ordering a curry, it can be good but can it really be *that* good?

It strikes me as overkill, not sure I want to take barbecuing that seriously. Mind you, like Charles there are many people that swear by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    More about controlling two temperatures at the same time, so you can have both direct and indirect heat goin' on within the same dome. Together with superior heat retention, it makes for far more versatility and less faff than traditional BBQs

Possibly it is just my ignorance, but barbecuing is sort of like ordering a curry, it can be good but can it really be *that* good?

It strikes me as overkill, not sure I want to take barbecuing that seriously. Mind you, like Charles there are many people that swear by them.
    The woodsmoke is the real benefit. You can't replicate that indoors.

It all just gets stuck between my teeth these days anyway. I'm not sure when my teeth started moving further apart such that it's become virtually impossible to eat meat without then having to ferret bits out for the next 20 minutes, but that does seem to be one of the effects of age for me. Quite tiresome.