Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are people telling their elderly relatives?

What are people telling their elderly relatives?

Me ma is pushing 80 and works in a school and me da (mid 70s) still gets the tube into town every day for a public facing job.

They are both at the "this is all silly and I'm going to carry on as normal" stage. Should I be forcefully telling them not to go to work for a few weeks, which is very likely to be the Government advice in the next week or two anyway for high risk age groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Me ma is pushing 80 and works in a school and me da (mid 70s) still gets the tube into town every day for a public facing job.

They are both at the "this is all silly and I'm going to carry on as normal" stage. Should I be forcefully telling them not to go to work for a few weeks, which is very likely to be the Government advice in the next week or two anyway for high risk age groups?
    Tell them to retire so a younger person can get a job
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

What are people telling their elderly relatives?
    ‘Make sure you’ve left me the house’

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Tell them to retire so a younger person can get a job
    It's this kind of sickeningly bigoted ageism that forced Wenger out

If I were you I'd be encouraging them to stay in. As forcefully as you can.

It seems sensible that (relatively) young 'uns who have a low mortality rate keep calm and carry on, whilst the more elderly who have a higher mortality rate take sensible precautions.

My folks (mid-70s) have isolated themselves. Incredibly rash for people of that age simply to carry on as though it's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    If I were you I'd be encouraging them to stay in. As forcefully as you can.

It seems sensible that (relatively) young 'uns who have a low mortality rate keep calm and carry on, whilst the more elderly who have a higher mortality rate take sensible precautions.
    Me ma says if they let he stay at home they'd also have to let all the older dinner ladies and then the school would have to close

Me ma says if they let he stay at home they'd also have to let all the older dinner ladies and then the school would have to close
    It's an admirably responsible attitude but... y'know. They need to be doing what's best for them.

Thing is we can hide them away but then they say we will all get it anyway. So it's very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    My folks (mid-70s) have isolated themselves. Incredibly rash for people of that age simply to carry on as though it's no big deal.
    Wise - my mum and her other half have been doing that for years anyway. He in particular doesn't like to travel beyond the borders of the village they live in. Probably quite enjoying it.