Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CowboyBuildersWimb: Currently renting in a new build house (2018) and have an offer

CowboyBuildersWimb: Currently renting in a new build house (2018) and have an offer

agreed with the developer, mortgage in place and scheduled to exchange & complete within the next two weeks.

Got a surveyor round yesterday (nearly didn't bother as it's a new build) and he identified various issues, among which was a large section of uneven brickwork on an exterior wall, indicating either that the house has slipped (unlikely), or that it was shoddy brickwork in the first place (most likely)

The house has a 10-year structural warranty, meaning that the above issue has been signed off by Building Control but also by a building inspector working for the warranty company.

But...what happens if we try to resell it in the future and a surveyor identifies the same issue?

Is this the kind of thing that could jeapordise a future sale, even if the house has passed all the relevant regulatory requirements? Or are we being melodramatic?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    agreed with the developer, mortgage in place and scheduled to exchange & complete within the next two weeks.

Got a surveyor round yesterday (nearly didn't bother as it's a new build) and he identified various issues, among which was a large section of uneven brickwork on an exterior wall, indicating either that the house has slipped (unlikely), or that it was shoddy brickwork in the first place (most likely)

The house has a 10-year structural warranty, meaning that the above issue has been signed off by Building Control but also by a building inspector working for the warranty company.

But...what happens if we try to resell it in the future and a surveyor identifies the same issue?

Is this the kind of thing that could jeapordise a future sale, even if the house has passed all the relevant regulatory requirements? Or are we being melodramatic?
    "Is the fact that my house is falling down likely to affect its resale value?"

Yes.

Rent boy 10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    "Is the fact that my house is falling down likely to affect its resale value?"

Yes.
    Don't worry, it's only the biggest financial decision of my life and the security and happiness of my children at stake.

Don't worry, it's only the biggest financial decision of my life and the security and happiness of my children at stake.
    You realise that we're all about to die of the bad chinkyflu, don't you?

Strangely the largest purchases in my life have usually been ones where I spent very little time in thinking about it.

Car's I've bought on a spur of the moment and the flat I made an offer the day after I saw it.

The fact you nearly didn't bother getting a surveyor round shows you shouldn't be left to make any big financial decisions.
    It's a house not an investment, only you can decide....you could always ask the surveyor what he thinks
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    The fact you nearly didn't bother getting a surveyor round shows you shouldn't be left to make any big financial decisions.
    It's a house not an investment, only you can decide....you could always ask the surveyor what he thinks
    You'd buy a house that was potentially unsellable?

The surveyor seems to think it was shoddy brickwork, but that it would be difficult to prove to future buyers that it hasn't slipped.

You'd buy a house that was potentially unsellable?

The surveyor seems to think it was shoddy brickwork, but that it would be difficult to prove to future buyers that it hasn't slipped.
    I don't know if it potentially unsellable as i haven't seen it and have no idea what it is like. That is why you get a surveyor who will sday what it is worth.

It's a new build so I would never buy it anyway
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I don't know if it potentially unsellable as i haven't seen it and have no idea what it is like. That is why you get a surveyor who will sday what it is worth.

It's a new build so I would never buy it anyway
    I want this won. Plenty of room for my ponies.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-75974839.html