Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I right to assume that the risk with booking any travel for the coming months will

Am I right to assume that the risk with booking any travel for the coming months will

be cancelled flights due to unsold seats, rather than sitting in a metal tube breathing in everyone's air?

I'm due to go to Cyprus in late May for my son to attend a football camp run by tongue-wielding cripple Jack 'Jackie' Wilshere. He's going to have a massive f*cking paddy if I have to tell him we can't go

My son, not Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    be cancelled flights due to unsold seats, rather than sitting in a metal tube breathing in everyone's air?

I'm due to go to Cyprus in late May for my son to attend a football camp run by tongue-wielding cripple Jack 'Jackie' Wilshere. He's going to have a massive f*cking paddy if I have to tell him we can't go

My son, not Jack.
    To be honest, once the thing is properly loose, there's going to be no point not flying or travelling abroad because it's likely to be everywhere anyway.

Late May should be fine, though. We're likely to be past the worst by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be honest, once the thing is properly loose, there's going to be no point not flying or travelling abroad because it's likely to be everywhere anyway.

Late May should be fine, though. We're likely to be past the worst by then.
    Really? I thought we were now likely to enter the 'delay' phase after failing to contain the thing, which would involve attempting to push back the virus's peak into the summer months when the NHS will be better able to cope.

Really? I thought we were now likely to enter the 'delay' phase after failing to contain the thing, which would involve attempting to push back the virus's peak into the summer months when the NHS will be better able to cope.
    Sure, but that shouldn't affect foreign travel. The CMO said the other day that there was no point restricting overseas travel plans unless you're travelling to a hotspot since there's no more danger most places than there is here.

Sure, but that shouldn't affect foreign travel. The CMO said the other day that there was no point restricting overseas travel plans unless you're travelling to a hotspot since there's no more danger most places than there is here.
    Well you said we're likely to be past the worst by late May, but now seem to agree that the peak may not come until June/July/August

Well you said we're likely to be past the worst by late May, but now seem to agree that the peak may not come until June/July/August
    Also, surely a key consideration regarding travel will continue to be where you'd rather be if/when you catch it. There may be no more risk of catching it in Cyprus than the UK by that point, but I know where I'd rather be treated.

There are suggestions that better weather will be a major factor in driving down cases. One would expect May to see the higher temperatures that usually help restrict the spread of other viral respiratory illnesses. It's not unreasonable (although not certain) to think that this will also be the case in this instance.

Also, surely a key consideration regarding travel will continue to be where you'd rather be if/when you catch it. There may be no more risk of catching it in Cyprus than the UK by that point, but I know where I'd rather be treated.
    Sure, but another way of looking at it is that, given the likely temperatures in Cyprus in May, you may also be better there than here.

Also, you're a healthy man in your late 30s, you're comfortably in the lowest risk percentile even if you do get it. If you were old or a severe asthmatic or a pregnant woman, you might have something to worry about.

Pull yourself together.

Sure, but another way of looking at it is that, given the likely temperatures in Cyprus in May, you may also be better there than here.

Also, you're a healthy man in your late 30s, you're comfortably in the lowest risk percentile even if you do get it. If you were old or a severe asthmatic or a pregnant woman, you might have something to worry about.

Pull yourself together.
    I'm only worried about having to tell my son he can't go to this football camp, and was trying to determine the likelihood of this. As I said in my original post, my sense is that the biggest risk is that our flight is cancelled.

I'm not concerned about getting it myself, although I would suggest you're being a little blasé about the risk of healthy, strapping young men like me inadvertently passing it onto elderly relatives.

My son, not Jack.
    Airlines going mechuleh might well be another issue.

Sadly, Easyjet and Ryanair are likely to survive.