Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spurs :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It was always strange to me that there was an assumption that DB10 (PBUH) was intelligent because he spoke good English, when quite clearly the good Lord saw fit to site the dear man's IQ in his feet rather than his head.
    There are large parts of Europe where you pretty much can't get a white collar job unless you speak English to a reasonable standard. It doesn't make everyone who speaks English clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The equation of polyglotism with intelligence is a fallacy peculiar to the Anglophone world.
    It was a joke. He grew up there

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It was a joke. He grew up there
    I know. I didn't think you were actually suggesting that Eric Dier was a genius. However, the point that us Anglos tend vastly to overrate the intelligence of people simply on the basis that they happen to speak another language stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I know. I didn't think you were actually suggesting that Eric Dier was a genius. However, the point that us Anglos tend vastly to overrate the intelligence of people simply on the basis that they happen to speak another language stands.
    I don't disagree but am only uncomfortable acknowledging it because of the time Ferguson took the piss out of Wenger (pointing out that one of his 16-year-old graduates also speaks 6 languages) for this very reason

More keen to explore why having a PhD is clearly no indicator of anything other than being book-smart.