Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheery, upbeat people can fúck off, can't they?

Cheery, upbeat people can fúck off, can't they?

Smiley cvnts.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Smiley cvnts.
    I'd have thought an hour in your company would stop them being cheery or upbeat
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I'd have thought an hour in your company would stop them being cheery or upbeat
    I do my best to ensure that is the case, yes. I just can't stand people who are constantly upbeat. I assume they're either stupid, masking some inner misery or that there's something wrong with them.

I do my best to ensure that is the case, yes. I just can't stand people who are constantly upbeat. I assume they're either stupid, masking some inner misery or that there's something wrong with them.
    That is why when you ask someone how they are and they say fine, your idea of fine might be always happy and coping with life easily, their idea of fine could be hardly coping and usually downbeat. So the same answer between 2 different people gives a false idea of how the other one really is.

Amazing what you learn on mental health when a charity comes into the lads football academy to talk to 9 yr olds about mental health

That is why when you ask someone how they are and they say fine, your idea of fine might be always happy and coping with life easily, their idea of fine could be hardly coping and usually downbeat. So the same answer between 2 different people gives a false idea of how the other one really is.

Amazing what you learn on mental health when a charity comes into the lads football academy to talk to 9 yr olds about mental health
    Surely the problem here is that we've foolishly raised people in such a way that they expect happiness to be a norm? It isn't and never has been throughout human history. To my mind, the reason we have (non-clinical) problems around the issue today is because of people's absurdly raised expectations.

Surely the problem here is that we've foolishly raised people in such a way that they expect happiness to be a norm? It isn't and never has been throughout human history. To my mind, the reason we have (non-clinical) problems around the issue today is because of people's absurdly raised expectations.
    I assume it is better understanding now that means we have far more cases of mental health issues than ever before. Treatment is also better so more people are now seeking help.

Living with someone who has suffered depression and stress for the last 7-8 years opens your eyes on how we perceive others around us, i know I have spoken out about twitter before, but social media perception of others does impact on people's lives.

I assume it is better understanding now that means we have far more cases of mental health issues than ever before. Treatment is also better so more people are now seeking help.

Living with someone who has suffered depression and stress for the last 7-8 years opens your eyes on how we perceive others around us, i know I have spoken out about twitter before, but social media perception of others does impact on people's lives.
    Clinical depression is a very different matter to what I'm talking about, though. It is a genuine chemical imbalance and must be treated accordingly.
    I'm talking about the general perception of the issue now, whereby (generally young) people will tell you they suffer with stress and anxiety as though these are actual conditions and you'll be there thinking 'Well of course you do. You're a human being and those are customary aspects of the human condition that do not require medicalisation, but are merely obstacles that we overcome as part of daily life if we are to be successful'.
    Unfortunately, I think discussion of mental health means we're raising (or have raised) a generation of weaklings who now consider the normal vicissitudes of life to be obstacles that cannot be surmounted without medical intervention and thus are not learning the necessary coping mechanism of stoicism and humour in the face of adversity. And, to be frank, I think that talking to a room full of 9 year-old boys who just want to kick a football around about mental health is very much part of the problem.

Clinical depression is a very different matter to what I'm talking about, though. It is a genuine chemical imbalance and must be treated accordingly.
    I'm talking about the general perception of the issue now, whereby (generally young) people will tell you they suffer with stress and anxiety as though these are actual conditions and you'll be there thinking 'Well of course you do. You're a human being and those are customary aspects of the human condition that do not require medicalisation, but are merely obstacles that we overcome as part of daily life if we are to be successful'.
    Unfortunately, I think discussion of mental health means we're raising (or have raised) a generation of weaklings who now consider the normal vicissitudes of life to be obstacles that cannot be surmounted without medical intervention and thus are not learning the necessary coping mechanism of stoicism and humour in the face of adversity. And, to be frank, I think that talking to a room full of 9 year-old boys who just want to kick a football around about mental health is very much part of the problem.
    I agree in the whole...don't agree on the last bit. The club are doing everything they can to get the boys just want to kick a football around and enjoy it (obviously no heading!), they are alos understanding that the boys do feel stress (mostly from thje parents) who dream that their lad can become a PL player nad earn millions, most rational people know that the chances are about 0.1% of all the boys there, but pressure is put upon them, they are introduced to people as h "he's Johnny and he's a footballer" .

It's all a duty of care by the club, and if it opens the eyes of 1 parent about what they potentially might be doing to their son then it is worth it.

I agree in the whole...don't agree on the last bit. The club are doing everything they can to get the boys just want to kick a football around and enjoy it (obviously no heading!), they are alos understanding that the boys do feel stress (mostly from thje parents) who dream that their lad can become a PL player nad earn millions, most rational people know that the chances are about 0.1% of all the boys there, but pressure is put upon them, they are introduced to people as h "he's Johnny and he's a footballer" .

It's all a duty of care by the club, and if it opens the eyes of 1 parent about what they potentially might be doing to their son then it is worth it.
    Yes, fair enough. Although I'm not sure all the talks in the world can overcome that sort of shít parenting.

Smiley cvnts.
    Don't really have that problem here