Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know why BT Sport have Triple H previewing Wilder-Fury2

Anyone know why BT Sport have Triple H previewing Wilder-Fury2

Fkin Triple H

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Fkin Triple H
    Trying to flog the fact they have WWE rights now. Quite why anyone watches WWE is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Trying to flog the fact they have WWE rights now. Quite why anyone watches WWE is beyond me
    It's always mystified me, but I've known some otherwise quite sensible people who like it. Mind you, I used to quite enjoy going to the wrestling at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon when I was a kid.

And Fury has been on WWE
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Fkin Triple H
    It's truly bizarre that in an allegedly civilised society, there are people prepared to pay money to watch two men batter each other senseless. Why not chuck a couple of lions in with them to make it more interesting? How about one of them gets a sword and the other a net?

It's fúcking mystifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's truly bizarre that in an allegedly civilised society, there are people prepared to pay money to watch two men batter each other senseless. Why not chuck a couple of lions in with them to make it more interesting? How about one of them gets a sword and the other a net?

It's fúcking mystifying.
    You don't actually think we as people have changed one iota in the intervening millennia, do you? No, it's just the moral landscape that's changed. We still love a bit of blood. It's just that the killjoy priests wagged their virgin fingers and took away our fun.

Thou hast conquered, O pale Gallilean.
    The world has grown grey with thy breath;
    We have drunken of things Lethean,
    And fed on the fullness of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You don't actually think we as people have changed one iota in the intervening millennia, do you? No, it's just the moral landscape that's changed. We still love a bit of blood. It's just that the killjoy priests wagged their virgin fingers and took away our fun.

Thou hast conquered, O pale Gallilean.
    The world has grown grey with thy breath;
    We have drunken of things Lethean,
    And fed on the fullness of death.
    Well yes, I think we absolutely have changed. The type of cruelties towards animals and people which were considered entirely normal in, say, the 16th century are now completely beyond the pale. Very few 'civilised' human beings would argue in favour of bear-baiting or ducking stools - but enjoying the sight of two morons beating each other bloody seems to remain palatable to a section of society. Perhaps the less evolved?

Well yes, I think we absolutely have changed. The type of cruelties towards animals and people which were considered entirely normal in, say, the 16th century are now completely beyond the pale. Very few 'civilised' human beings would argue in favour of bear-baiting or ducking stools - but enjoying the sight of two morons beating each other bloody seems to remain palatable to a section of society. Perhaps the less evolved?
    Pugilism is a fine art, thought you'd have been right behind Marquis of Queensbury.

MMA, less so

Pugilism is a fine art, thought you'd have been right behind Marquis of Queensbury.

MMA, less so
    Attempting to batter someone unconscious isn't art, p. It's brutality.

Watching it is a strangely voyeuristic way to enjoy your sadism.

But we have simply sublimated these desires into other areas - not the least of which is organised sport. Have you ever looked at the contorted face of a football fan as he screams impotent abuse at some hapless player or official? Do you think those reactions or the instincts that provoke them are 'civilised'? Of course not. They're the same atavistic, cathartic impulses as those that possessed the spectators in the arena or crowds at a cockfight. The only difference lies in what they're looking at.
    Boxing is a classic case of this sublimation. It just happens to be the one closest to its origins because there's actual violence, blood, pain and - on occasion - death. This makes it (when it's good and the blows and blood are flying) much the most viscerally exciting of all sports because that is who and what we are. Deny it all you like and decry the idea all you like.
    I don't believe in 'civilisation' in the sense you mean. Civilisation is something we create, it's not something we are. If the civilisation of humans actually moved along the path you suggest, we'd actually get rid of the need to experience these things altogether and spectator sport would wither and die. It's not going anywhere, though, because it meets a need. It's the methadone we need to keep us off the real thing.