Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know why BT Sport have Triple H previewing Wilder-Fury2

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Attempting to batter someone unconscious isn't art, p. It's brutality.

Watching it is a strangely voyeuristic way to enjoy your sadism.
    Surely it's preferable to indulge one's sadism vicariously?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But we have simply sublimated these desires into other areas - not the least of which is organised sport. Have you ever looked at the contorted face of a football fan as he screams impotent abuse at some hapless player or official? Do you think those reactions or the instincts that provoke them are 'civilised'? Of course not. They're the same atavistic, cathartic impulses as those that possessed the spectators in the arena or crowds at a cockfight. The only difference lies in what they're looking at.
    Boxing is a classic case of this sublimation. It just happens to be the one closest to its origins because there's actual violence, blood, pain and - on occasion - death. This makes it (when it's good and the blows and blood are flying) much the most viscerally exciting of all sports because that is who and what we are. Deny it all you like and decry the idea all you like.
    I don't believe in 'civilisation' in the sense you mean. Civilisation is something we create, it's not something we are. If the civilisation of humans actually moved along the path you suggest, we'd actually get rid of the need to experience these things altogether and spectator sport would wither and die. It's not going anywhere, though, because it meets a need. It's the methadone we need to keep us off the real thing.
    Whatever. Bored now.

You really ought to read the Cazalet Chronicles, you know. 20 years of family history in which... nothing much happens at all.

Surely it's preferable to indulge one's sadism vicariously?
    God no. If you're going to wallow in your bloodthirstiness, yoiu could have the simple dignity to go and smash someone in the face yourself and risk a good hiding, otherwise you're a coward as well as a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    God no. If you're going to wallow in your bloodthirstiness, yoiu could have the simple dignity to go and smash someone in the face yourself and risk a good hiding, otherwise you're a coward as well as a beast.
    But if civilisation is anything it is the triumph of cowardliness. It places less value on physical strength or courage and places more on low cunning and a finely-honed instinct for self-preservation. You can't seek the milksop civilisation of no organised violence and kindness to animals and so forth and value the manly barbarian virtues of courage and honour. The two mindsets are on sharply-divergent paths. Indeed, one could make the argument that the kinder as a society we have become to animals, the more effeminate and cowardly we have become in other areas.

And no, I'm not reading it. It's for chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Pugilism is a fine art, thought you'd have been right behind Marquis of Queensbury.

MMA, less so
    As opposed to being right behind the Marquis of Queensbury's son which is what got Oscar Wilde into trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    As opposed to being right behind the Marquis of Queensbury's son which is what got Oscar Wilde into trouble
    Bad Oscar

Yes, although the M of Q was under the rather odd impression that the word in question was 'somdomite' and that young Bosie was being 'somdomised' by Oscar.

Yes, although the M of Q was under the rather odd impression that the word in question was 'somdomite' and that young Bosie was being 'somdomised' by Oscar.
    Too many rounds in the ring so to speak

Too many rounds in the ring so to speak

"What did God do to the Sodomites, children?"

"I don't know, father, but it can't be much worse than what they did to each other."

It's always mystified me, but I've known some otherwise quite sensible people who like it. Mind you, I used to quite enjoy going to the wrestling at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon when I was a kid.
    Change 'at' for 'outside' imo.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'