Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This weekend I have mostly found out that someone called Caroline Flack existed

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Correct, but she has been hounded by the press when they kneww full well of her mental health issues, that is also a fact. There is the usual talk that things will change, but they won't, the press try to sell papers/advertising/click bait so they won't give a damn, ont the next celeb and damn the consequences
    Could I ask what mental health issues she suffered with and what the protocol for her informing the IPSO is? Also, what have the press done beyond report the facts of the crime she committed and was being prosecuted for?

No, as we have seen previously most of them don't.
    and most don't top themselves.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Could I ask what mental health issues she suffered with and what the protocol for her informing the IPSO is? Also, what have the press done beyond report the facts of the crime she committed and was being prosecuted for?
    Well the fact she killed herself suggests stress, anxiety and depression must feature somewhere, the fact an Ambulance was called the day before she killed herself also suggests this, the fact a friend was staying with her as her family were concerned what she might do also suggests there were mental health issues.

They didn't just report the facts they glorified them to make it a "bigger" story.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    and most don't top themselves.
    Which again suggests she had serious mental health issues and they had been there for a while

She has been hounded by the press for the last few months, she was obviously suffering sever mental health issues (threats to kill herself, self harm) , and as far as i'm aware she hadn't been found guilty of anything. Her boyfirend (who was very drunk at the time) called the police, anmd who also didn't want her charged, so who knows what she had done and what she hadn't done.
    By 'hounded', you mean 'faced the media scrutiny usual to a famous person accused of a violent crime'. Surely you can see that pleading mental health and threats of self-harm as a way of getting the press of your case is a tactic that could be cynically manipulated by anyone who wants to avoid scrutiny? The idea that the press should back off just because a celeb plays the mental health card just doesn't fly, I'm afraid.

And her boyfriend asking that she not be prosecuted isn't really relevant, since the CPS policy is to prosecute in cases of domestic violence regardless of what the alleged victim says. Not doing so risks abusers manipulating their victims so that they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    By 'hounded', you mean 'faced the media scrutiny usual to a famous person accused of a violent crime'. Surely you can see that pleading mental health and threats of self-harm as a way of getting the press of your case is a tactic that could be cynically manipulated by anyone who wants to avoid scrutiny? The idea that the press should back off just because a celeb plays the mental health card just doesn't fly, I'm afraid.

And her boyfriend asking that she not be prosecuted isn't really relevant, since the CPS policy is to prosecute in cases of domestic violence regardless of what the alleged victim says. Not doing so risks abusers manipulating their victims so that they get away with it.
    I do wonder whether there was some control/manipulation being exerted on her boyfriend in this case. The crime she was accused of was undoubtedly serious and should be treated as such. Her boyfriend will now not see justice served.

Well the fact she killed herself suggests stress, anxiety and depression must feature somewhere, the fact an Ambulance was called the day before she killed herself also suggests this, the fact a friend was staying with her as her family were concerned what she might do also suggests there were mental health issues.

They didn't just report the facts they glorified them to make it a "bigger" story.
    I'm sorry, but the fact that someone can't cope with the consequences of their actions is not a reason not to investigate and report those actions.

Yes i do mean what you said, and how they report it is completly over the top, always has been and since social media took off it has become worse. She was obviously a troubled individual but that didn't cause the press to back off in the slightest.

And I am perfectly aware what the law states on domestic violence, she was more than likely guilty, but from what I can gather she has inflicted serious injuries on herself on the evening in question, so again, it was fairly obvious that she had serious mental health issues.

The trouble with objecting to the antics of the gutter press is that there is no solution to it. If one could transplant some simple human decency into journalists they might behave like decent human beings but... have you ever met a journalist?

I'm sorry, but the fact that someone can't cope with the consequences of their actions is not a reason not to investigate and report those actions.
    It is the way they report these actions that is the issue, this has been going on for sometime with her, and I will repeat it again, it was obvious to anyone who knew her (and that will include the press) that she had serious mental health issues.