Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oi, Sir C! Book recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Good man, C.

Have you read this one? I'd listened to the first episode last week, and with the glw asleep I wanted something to listen to in bed last night. Thought I'd just listen to one for 15 mins, as opposed to a 30 or 45 min programme. I listened to all 9 remaining episodes.

Burmese Days
    is great, too. But then the main character getting on better with the native doctor than the other colonists, and having an interest in the local culture, unlike them, obviously appeals to me.

Btw, you know Road to Wigan Pier? They originally only published the first part, the reportage of his travels, not the 2nd, his analysis, because they couldn't bear him saying the working class were smelly.

I thought this ID-politics denial of reality was a new thing. But 85 years ago, the idiotic lefties were already doing it. You can't tell the truth about a minority, even if that truth proves they are victims of society's iniquity. It's insane. How can you make things better for the poor if you refuse to accept there are any problems?
    I've read everything he wrote about 30 times, g.

I enjoy the way he clearly felt for the plight of the poor but refused to be blinded to their less savoury qualities.

I believe my favourite of his works is Down and Out In Paris and London. I read it in France, in French last year and it did an unbelievable job of evoking the Paris of the early 20th century. I could smell the kitchens and taste the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Talking of Jews. I've just been invited out to lunch by a very Jewish chap. Name of Blutstein. Lovely chap, sports a kippah on occasion.

Imagine my surprise, then, on a number of levels when he suggests The German Gymnasium.
    An old jewish fellow I used to know dealt with my surprise at him always driving a new Mercedes by explaining that he thought of it as reparations.

You'll keep your hand on your wallet, naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    An old jewish fellow I used to know dealt with my surprise at him always driving a new Mercedes by explaining that he thought of it as reparations.

You'll keep your hand on your wallet, naturally?
    Naturally. He's invited me for some mysterious reason he's refusing to divulge and I intend to watch him blench as I order various expensive items.

Come to think of it, I do hope he's not planning to offer me a job. That would be most embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I've read everything he wrote about 30 times, g.

I enjoy the way he clearly felt for the plight of the poor but refused to be blinded to their less savoury qualities.

I believe my favourite of his works is Down and Out In Paris and London. I read it in France, in French last year and it did an unbelievable job of evoking the Paris of the early 20th century. I could smell the kitchens and taste the wine.
    The grimy thumbprint on the bread in Wigan Pier still haunts me.