Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oi, Sir C! Book recommendation.

Oi, Sir C! Book recommendation.

Pavane, by Keith Roberts. It's available on Audible as well. Dead good.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Pavane, by Keith Roberts. It's available on Audible as well. Dead good.
    Nice! Will seek.

I've just started this
    Hope: A Tragedy Kindle Edition
    by Shalom Auslander (Author)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Nice! Will seek.

I've just started this
    Sounds intriguing. 'Shalom Auslander' has to be a nom de plume, though, dunnit?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sounds intriguing. 'Shalom Auslander' has to be a nom de plume, though, dunnit?
    I've met loads of people called Peace Foreigner.

I've met loads of people called Peace Foreigner.
    Yes, but you mix in bohemian circles.

I've looked him up and it seems to be real. He's also written a book called 'Foreskin's Lament'.

Nice! Will seek.

I've just started this
    I listened to this 1939 Orwell novel on the Beeb last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d7nl

10 x 15 min episodes. Good, it was. You can see his progress as a novelist through the '30s from Burmese Days to this, setting up his late '40s genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I listened to this 1939 Orwell novel on the Beeb last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d7nl

10 x 15 min episodes. Good, it was. You can see his progress as a novelist through the '30s from Burmese Days to this, setting up his late '40s genius.
    He is my favourite author.

There. I've said it.

There. I've said it.
    Talking of Jews. I've just been invited out to lunch by a very Jewish chap. Name of Blutstein. Lovely chap, sports a kippah on occasion.

Imagine my surprise, then, on a number of levels when he suggests The German Gymnasium.

There. I've said it.
    Good man, C.

Have you read this one? I'd listened to the first episode last week, and with the glw asleep I wanted something to listen to in bed last night. Thought I'd just listen to one for 15 mins, as opposed to a 30 or 45 min programme. I listened to all 9 remaining episodes.

Burmese Days
    is great, too. But then the main character getting on better with the native doctor than the other colonists, and having an interest in the local culture, unlike them, obviously appeals to me.

Btw, you know Road to Wigan Pier? They originally only published the first part, the reportage of his travels, not the 2nd, his analysis, because they couldn't bear him saying the working class were smelly.

I thought this ID-politics denial of reality was a new thing. But 85 years ago, the idiotic lefties were already doing it. You can't tell the truth about a minority, even if that truth proves they are victims of society's iniquity. It's insane. How can you make things better for the poor if you refuse to accept there are any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Good man, C.

Have you read this one? I'd listened to the first episode last week, and with the glw asleep I wanted something to listen to in bed last night. Thought I'd just listen to one for 15 mins, as opposed to a 30 or 45 min programme. I listened to all 9 remaining episodes.

Burmese Days
    is great, too. But then the main character getting on better with the native doctor than the other colonists, and having an interest in the local culture, unlike them, obviously appeals to me.

Btw, you know Road to Wigan Pier? They originally only published the first part, the reportage of his travels, not the 2nd, his analysis, because they couldn't bear him saying the working class were smelly.

I thought this ID-politics denial of reality was a new thing. But 85 years ago, the idiotic lefties were already doing it. You can't tell the truth about a minority, even if that truth proves they are victims of society's iniquity. It's insane. How can you make things better for the poor if you refuse to accept there are any problems?
    I think the fact that he was able to take the side of the working classes while finding them and their habits physically repulsive (apart from naked miners, of course ) is one of the things that endears dear old Eric to me. He was an instinctive snob, but was able to overcome his distaste sufficiently to be able to live among them and understand their situation. That in itself is admirable.

Mind you, it's hard not to read Down and out in Paris and London without hearing him gag at the descriptions of the spikes and similar.