Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Alyson Rudd of the Times assures me that VAR rightly confirmed that it wasn't a pen

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    And nobody wants the officials to be correct 100% of the time, in any case. Otherwise how to explain away a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town, or somewhere like that, without at least in part blaming the linesman or the ref. For the good of the game, these functionaries must continue to exist as sort of Aunt Sally, pantomime characters.
    Yes, that will never change.

VAR is the new referee, as such. Which sort of suggests it's pointless, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yep - one of the interesting things about Sunday's decision for Liverpool's non-goal was that the ref Pawson (booooooooooo) was on VAR for the United Everton game and didn't give a foul for a similar challenge on De Gea. So his definition was consistent, yet he gets overturned in this instant. Even though I think it was a foul, it hardly makes any sense
    What would be interesting with a review system is where there has been a bad tackle and the ref has only given a yellow. Will the opposing skipper have the right to appeal in the hope of a red - basically subjecting the ref's discretion to the scrutiny of his peers?

And nobody wants the officials to be correct 100% of the time, in any case. Otherwise how to explain away a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town, or somewhere like that, without at least in part blaming the linesman or the ref. For the good of the game, these functionaries must continue to exist as sort of Aunt Sally, pantomime characters.
    No, but I do think they want their decisions to be subject to scrutiny and for them to no longer be the sole arbiters in the game. That would fundamentally change on-field refereeing. For instance, there's no way Mike Reilly could have reffed our game against United the way he did if his frankly bizarre decisions could be sent upstairs.

Embarrassing, humiliating the ref is an important part of the game. And I suspect they are perfectly aware of this too; welcome it even.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What would be interesting with a review system is where there has been a bad tackle and the ref has only given a yellow. Will the opposing skipper have the right to appeal in the hope of a red - basically subjecting the ref's discretion to the scrutiny of his peers?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

True, but the whole cabal of 'em will simply make the necessary adjustments, imo. After all, a ref with a Macbook is still a ref.

No, but I do think they want their decisions to be subject to scrutiny and for them to no longer be the sole arbiters in the game. That would fundamentally change on-field refereeing. For instance, there's no way Mike Reilly could have reffed our game against United the way he did if his frankly bizarre decisions could be sent upstairs.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Embarrassing, humiliating the ref is an important part of the game. And I suspect they are perfectly aware of this too; welcome it even.
    I think this is the important thing. These wronguns need to have their god-like and wholly-corrupting power over the game taken away. I will support any system that does that.

True, but the whole cabal of 'em will simply make the necessary adjustments, imo. After all, a ref with a Macbook is still a ref.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean they like each other. I'm sure there are plenty of referees who'd take great pleasure in overturning Mike Dein's decisions.

I can't believe iufg hasn't seized on the Mike Reilly reference. He's falling down on the job.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they like each other. I'm sure there are plenty of referees who'd take great pleasure in overturning Mike Dein's decisions.

I can't believe iufg hasn't seized on the Mike Reilly reference. He's falling down on the job.
    name
    2 things, b

1) I have to log in
    2) YOU have to spell the cnuts correctly

it was 2004 btw
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Yes, I suspected as much. But, as I say, we have to have somebody to blame. And masochists gon' masochist. Otherwise what are we going to do? Blame Wenger?

I will support any system that does that.

Probably. Personally. But these are professionals nowadays and therefore will always stick together.