Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Alyson Rudd of the Times assures me that VAR rightly confirmed that it wasn't a pen

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Even Shearuh and Wrighty said it was a pen. Poor Alyson, she's even dumber than Shearuh and Wrighty.

Still would, mind. Alyson, not Shearuh or Wrighty. Well, maybe Wrighty.
    I was gonna reply 'you still would' to your original post but you seemed angry so I bottled it
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    I was gonna reply 'you still would' to your original post but you seemed angry so I bottled it
    Scouser innit, bb. Not with yours on a barge pole, etc...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Quite so. The first rule of this should have been that it should take both the referral and the decision out of the hands of the on-field official. Their decisions are always going to be subject to confirmation bias. It should be based on the right of the on-field captains to appeal decisions.

I just remember how long it took them to get DRS right. Remember the days when the 3rd umpire would give the on field umpire the details and left it to the umpire to make the final call? It was carnage for a while. It's been refined and improved and refined again to what we have now

Although, in DRS, the on field umpire still has final say, the parameters are fairly well defined. There is a certain degree of out or not out and this took a few years. Imagine how Football, a constantly moving game with much wider room for interpretation, will work to refine and improve the VAR system.

Perhaps, the VAR should only be used to define black and white decisions. Was the ball over the line (throw, GK/corner/goal etc), was a foul inside or outside the box and offside. Strictly define the parameters and then apply them accordingly.

It might take 10 years to get to that point....
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    I just remember how long it took them to get DRS right. Remember the days when the 3rd umpire would give the on field umpire the details and left it to the umpire to make the final call? It was carnage for a while. It's been refined and improved and refined again to what we have now

Although, in DRS, the on field umpire still has final say, the parameters are fairly well defined. There is a certain degree of out or not out and this took a few years. Imagine how Football, a constantly moving game with much wider room for interpretation, will work to refine and improve the VAR system.

Perhaps, the VAR should only be used to define black and white decisions. Was the ball over the line (throw, GK/corner/goal etc), was a foul inside or outside the box and offside. Strictly define the parameters and then apply them accordingly.

It might take 10 years to get to that point....
    Nevertheless Burney is spot on. They have learned nothing from other sports.

Strangely I found myself agreeing with everything in this thread, very well said WES.

Oh aside from the bus trip. £6 in the context of £150...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Pretty much what WES said: "Mike Dean, officiating his 500th Premier League game, flamboyantly waved away appeals for a penalty when Nicolas Pepe fell under Jack O'Connell's challenge and the VAR check confirmed the referee was right to do so."
    I'm sure Jesus wept on reading that?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Nevertheless Burney is spot on. They have learned nothing from other sports.

Strangely I found myself agreeing with everything in this thread, very well said WES.

Oh aside from the bus trip. £6 in the context of £150...
    If I actually thought FIFA were clever enough, I'd almost suspect they've deliberately sabotaged the implementation of VAR so that it can be withdrawn and shelved in perpetuity.

If I actually thought FIFA were clever enough, I'd almost suspect they've deliberately sabotaged the implementation of VAR so that it can be withdrawn and shelved in perpetuity.
    Arsene has been bought in to save it. The review system will be in shortly - he's always banged on about that. Mind you imagine if we had reviewed Dean's decision on Saturday and they still didn't give us a pen

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Arsene has been bought in to save it. The review system will be in shortly - he's always banged on about that. Mind you imagine if we had reviewed Dean's decision on Saturday and they still didn't give us a pen
    The problem with football, of course, is that there is that element of discretion left to referees regarding intent and so forth, so a review system will always mean that there will be a clash between different interpretations. The question is whether on or off-field officials will have the final say.

The problem with football, of course, is that there is that element of discretion left to referees regarding intent and so forth, so a review system will always mean that there will be a clash between different interpretations. The question is whether on or off-field officials will have the final say.
    Yep - one of the interesting things about Sunday's decision for Liverpool's non-goal was that the ref Pawson (booooooooooo) was on VAR for the United Everton game and didn't give a foul for a similar challenge on De Gea. So his definition was consistent, yet he gets overturned in this instant. Even though I think it was a foul, it hardly makes any sense

And nobody wants the officials to be correct 100% of the time, in any case. Otherwise how to explain away a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town, or somewhere like that, without at least in part blaming the linesman or the ref. For the good of the game, these functionaries must continue to exist as sort of Aunt Sally, pantomime characters.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."