Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I knew Laurence Fox was a thoroughly good egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Foakes, Foakes or Foakes for Sri Lanka for me
    Agreed. Sticking the gloves on a one-day batsman is a failed experiment that should be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Agreed. Sticking the gloves on a one-day batsman is a failed experiment that should be abandoned.
    Yes - I was all for it but time for a change. Bairstow should only come in as batsman and he's not in the top six at the moment. Buttler isn't Test class. Save him one-dayers - will be captain when Morgan steps down (probably after T20 world cup)

Also - and I am thoroughly sick of being nice to Surrey players - Curran can do a job at 7 so even if Foakes isn't entirely trusted with the bat I don't think it weakens us

Yes - I was all for it but time for a change. Bairstow should only come in as batsman and he's not in the top six at the moment. Buttler isn't Test class. Save him one-dayers - will be captain when Morgan steps down (probably after T20 world cup)
    We've spent 15-20 years trying to find an Adam Gilchrist because we apparently failed to spot that Gilchrist wasn't just some slogger, but a genuinely world-class batsman who'd have walked into most World XIs even without keeping.

Also - and I am thoroughly sick of being nice to Surrey players - Curran can do a job at 7 so even if Foakes isn't entirely trusted with the bat I don't think it weakens us
    Jinxer.

We've spent 15-20 years trying to find an Adam Gilchrist because we apparently failed to spot that Gilchrist wasn't just some slogger, but a genuinely world-class batsman who'd have walked into most World XIs even without keeping.
    Yep - batted 7 because he was comfortable there, could easily have moved up the order. Tbf - Prior at his best, though not in the same class, was a very decent bat and good keeper by the end.

Jinxed that stupid South London **** there didn't I

Yep - batted 7 because he was comfortable there, could easily have moved up the order. Tbf - Prior at his best, though not in the same class, was a very decent bat and good keeper by the end.

Jinxed that stupid South London **** there didn't I
    Question (for anyone really): What qualities or characteristics define a "one-day batsman"?

Yes. From having no proper openers at the start of the summer, we now appear to have options, which is nice. Stokes is now one of the best bats in the world who also bowls a bit. As you say, if Root could sort it out, we'd have a really strong top 5 or 6.

Still serious questions about the wicketkeeper, though. Neither Buttler nor Bairstow is either a proper test wicketkeeper or a proper test batsman.
    Said all along Foakes should keep wicket, I like a proper keeper. He can also bat a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Question (for anyone really): What qualities or characteristics define a "one-day batsman"?
    The combination of an ability to score quickly and strike cleanly, but to also be in possession of a poor defensive technique that is found wanting in the more demanding arena of test cricket.