Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C, the explosion was heard 24 secs after the flash in the sky. That's exactly 27,000

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Yes. Mach 1 = 343m/s

x24secs = 8,232m (Roughly five miles.)

=27,007 ft.

Where is my maths wrong? What have I missed?
    The aircraft is not directly overhead the photographer, is it? It is, apparently, 5 miles away in slant distance, so perhaps 4.5 miles away horizontally. Remember your right-angled triangle calculations?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Ok. So while a plane could be 27k', you reckon it was 5k' up.

Using Pi's right angled triangles, then the plane would be 5k feet up and 26.6k feet away horizontally - 8.23kms, just over 5 miles.

I guess that makes sense. Does the plane in the vid look 5 miles away to you, C? Is that roughly right?
    Sorry, I didn't notice this.

It depends on the focal length of the lens, of course, but yes, it could be anywhere between, say, 2 and 10 miles away, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They got it wrong because they're jumpy, probably ill-trained and thought they were about to get barbecued by a US airstrike.
    But when Turkey and the Yanks were arguing about missile systems, I read that they know what sort of plane is what. How come the Iranian system didn't know it was a 737 or whatever it was? How did it mix it up with a bomber?

And more to the point, why would the yanks be attacking with a plane? Surely they'd use drones or sea-launched missiles?

I get that they're jumpy and backward, but it's still pretty crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The aircraft is not directly overhead the photographer, is it? It is, apparently, 5 miles away in slant distance, so perhaps 4.5 miles away horizontally. Remember your right-angled triangle calculations?
    I said that in the next reply.

Using O^2 + A^2 = H^2, if I use your figure of it being 5k ft up (O), and the H being the 27k ft it took the sound to come down and across, then A, the horizontal distance, is 8.23kms, just over 5 miles.

Sorry to waste everyone's time. As B said, I was just getting suspicious of such a round number and thought I'd proved that the plane was flying at exactly 27k ft, which is a normal passenger jet height.

I forgot it wasn't directly over head.

I said that in the next reply.

Using O^2 + A^2 = H^2, if I use your figure of it being 5k ft up (O), and the H being the 27k ft it took the sound to come down and across, then A, the horizontal distance, is 8.23kms, just over 5 miles.

Sorry to waste everyone's time. As B said, I was just getting suspicious of such a round number and thought I'd proved that the plane was flying at exactly 27k ft, which is a normal passenger jet height.

I forgot it wasn't directly over head.
    Easily done g. Just made me chuckle for a moment.

I nooticed this place for the first time last time. Now I'm mad to try it. https://tandoorchophouse.com/

Easily done g. Just made me chuckle for a moment.

I nooticed this place for the first time last time. Now I'm mad to try it. https://tandoorchophouse.com/
    Oooh, looks nice.

Btw, there's a Pakistani grill house near my mate's in Whitechappel. Jay Rayner mentioned it in the Observer a couple of months back. He says the best thing (other than the food) is that you can bring your own booze with no corkage. So you spend £25 on a bottle (the normal min price in a London restaurant) from a wine shop, and enjoy the grilled meat with a lovely claret (or whatever) which would cost you the best part of a oner in a normal restaurant.

Asked my mate about it - it's just opposite his - and he says it's great.

Do you know of it? If not, do you want me to find out the address or whatever?

Oooh, looks nice.

Btw, there's a Pakistani grill house near my mate's in Whitechappel. Jay Rayner mentioned it in the Observer a couple of months back. He says the best thing (other than the food) is that you can bring your own booze with no corkage. So you spend £25 on a bottle (the normal min price in a London restaurant) from a wine shop, and enjoy the grilled meat with a lovely claret (or whatever) which would cost you the best part of a oner in a normal restaurant.

Asked my mate about it - it's just opposite his - and he says it's great.

Do you know of it? If not, do you want me to find out the address or whatever?
    Tayyabs, g. Extremely famous. I've always been tempted to go but, on principle, I refuse to have anything to do with Pakistanis.

Tayyabs, g. Extremely famous. I've always been tempted to go but, on principle, I refuse to have anything to do with Pakistanis.
    Oh, you know my thoughts on the Jinnahites. But I like grilled meat. And I really like nice French wine but am too poor normally to drink it in a restaurant. Thus, I will compromise my principles in this manner.

And they are, y'know, British now. Maybe they came here as they accept partition was wrong. Sinners can repent, and all that.

Ps, let me know if you try that thali from your place. Sounds nice. I'd like to eat a posh thali as opposed to a veggie one that just costs Rs 80.