Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C, the explosion was heard 24 secs after the flash in the sky. That's exactly 27,000

C, the explosion was heard 24 secs after the flash in the sky. That's exactly 27,000

feet at the speed of sound.

That's a normal height for a passenger plane, is it? For some reason I thought they went at 33,000 ft.

So if this plane was at a normal plane height, and would have been going at the normal plane speed, how could they have thought it was a warplane?

That system the Ruskies sold to the Turks recognises all types of planes, including MiGs. Don't the Iranians have something similar?

Basically, in words of one syllable, how did they fück it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

That's a normal height for a passenger plane, is it? For some reason I thought they went at 33,000 ft.

So if this plane was at a normal plane height, and would have been going at the normal plane speed, how could they have thought it was a warplane?

That system the Ruskies sold to the Turks recognises all types of planes, including MiGs. Don't the Iranians have something similar?

It had just taken off, so it wouldn't have reached its cruising height yet. And the cruising speed of a B52 isn't much different to that of a commercial airliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It had just taken off, so it wouldn't have reached its cruising height yet. And the cruising speed of a B52 isn't much different to that of a commercial airliner.
    I didn't know that. But this Graun video shows the flash, and then says the boom is heard 24 secs later.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...an-plane-video

Now I worked out the speed of sound at 24 secs and converted it to feet and it's exactly 27,000 ft.

I know that it wasn't directly above so the sound wave would have moved horizontally as well as downwards. But that does seem a very round number. That flash was exactly 27k ft away from the camera that filmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I didn't know that. But this Graun video shows the flash, and then says the boom is heard 24 secs later.

Now I worked out the speed of sound at 24 secs and converted it to feet and it's exactly 27,000 ft.

I know that it wasn't directly above so the sound wave would have moved horizontally as well as downwards. But that does seem a very round number. That flash was exactly 27k ft away from the camera that filmed it.
    So what are you suspicious about? The roundness of the number?

It happened 3 minutes after take off. The aircraft would have been at around 5,000', depending on ATC / SID restrictions.

'Normal' cruising height is anywhere between 25,000' and 42,000'. Jet engines are more efficient the higher you go, so the higher the better, really.

27,000' is about 5 miles, you daft bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So what are you suspicious about? The roundness of the number?
    Not suspicious, really. More that when I've been on planes and awake (as opposed to knocked out on vallies and booze) they said they're flying at 33,000ft or at 30,000 ft so I was asking our resident pilot if they also fly at 27,000ft.

Cos 24 secs works out at 27,007 ft. So yes, you're right. It's the roundness of the number.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. More like:

1. Could a passenger jet have been at 27k ft as the maths says?
    2. If so, they've got a plane going at exactly passenger jet height and speed so how did the godless heathens get it wrong?

The only good Persians were the Parsis and they went to India to get away from heathen persecution and inability to control a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    27,000' is about 5 miles, you daft bugger.
    Yes. Mach 1 = 343m/s

x24secs = 8,232m (Roughly five miles.)

=27,007 ft.

Where is my maths wrong? What have I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It happened 3 minutes after take off. The aircraft would have been at around 5,000', depending on ATC / SID restrictions.

'Normal' cruising height is anywhere between 25,000' and 42,000'. Jet engines are more efficient the higher you go, so the higher the better, really.
    Ok. So while a plane could be 27k', you reckon it was 5k' up.

Using Pi's right angled triangles, then the plane would be 5k feet up and 26.6k feet away horizontally - 8.23kms, just over 5 miles.

I guess that makes sense. Does the plane in the vid look 5 miles away to you, C? Is that roughly right?

Not suspicious, really. More that when I've been on planes and awake (as opposed to knocked out on vallies and booze) they said they're flying at 33,000ft or at 30,000 ft so I was asking our resident pilot if they also fly at 27,000ft.

Cos 24 secs works out at 27,007 ft. So yes, you're right. It's the roundness of the number.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. More like:

1. Could a passenger jet have been at 27k ft as the maths says?
    2. If so, they've got a plane going at exactly passenger jet height and speed so how did the godless heathens get it wrong?

The only good Persians were the Parsis and they went to India to get away from heathen persecution and inability to control a SAM.
    They got it wrong because they're jumpy, probably ill-trained and thought they were about to get barbecued by a US airstrike.