Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Trump even tweeted anything yet? Can one of you check please? (I refuse to

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    And if Iranian backed terrorists blow themselves up in markets around Europe because of this, will you still think it was a good idea?

It's easy to support a killing right after the killing when the fallout is unclear. It satisfies a basic, savage instinct that appeals to many, certainly the people that support Trump.

This strikes me now as a very stupid thing to do, however I would like to think that the Americans have some intelligence which suggests that Iranian escalation is very unlikely.
    Do you really think these people need an excuse to blow themselves up in markets around Europe?

I'm afraid yours is typical of the failed, weak, appeasing view that we in the West mustn't dare react to any outrage perpetrated against us because we might - gulp - provoke them into doing the stuff they're already doing anyway.

The Iranians explicitly violated a US Embassy. What response ought the US have made? A stiffly-worded letter? A complaint to the UN? Balls to that. Malleting the c@nt in full public view will give them very serious pause for thought before they try anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You seem to be suggesting that it's a stupid thing to do because there may be consequences, but surely at some point one must act against violence and intimidation, whatever the consequences?

One might say that it's easy to support appeasement when the bad things aren't happening in your back garden. It satisfies a basic, cowardly instinct that appeals to many, expecially the short-sighted. But at some point that tiger is going to turn and bite you anyway, so you might as well have a go at containing it if you see a possibility.
    Short sighted canadian yella-bellies at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Short sighted canadian yella-bellies at any rate.
    Trudeau fanboys.

Then why on earth didn't you message me man? I would have hurtled around, broken the offending article's back in no time, shared a tumbler of your finest malt and set about your wife's fanny like the lusty old working class bull I am.
    I assure you that, had it not left of its own accord, I'd have been open to virtually any offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Trudeau fanboys.
    I imagine WES's PM's response would have been to apply a bit of dark tan to his face, pop on a turban and nip over to Tehran to apologise for being such a ghastly Westerner.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I assure you that, had it not left of its own accord, I'd have been open to virtually any offer.
    Who was that irascible little jewish fellow that used to post here. Tried to get me interested in fitting him with a new boiler and when I cracked my usual joke about boning his missus he told me if I gave him a decent discount I could also wipe my cock on his curtains after.

Who was that irascible little jewish fellow that used to post here. Tried to get me interested in fitting him with a new boiler and when I cracked my usual joke about boning his missus he told me if I gave him a decent discount I could also wipe my cock on his curtains after.
    DRFC or the other one? The one Sir C was on about just before Christmas and whose handle I've already forgotten again?

DRFC or the other one? The one Sir C was on about just before Christmas and whose handle I've already forgotten again?

It was so long ago that I fear even were you to get his handle right it has passed entirely from my memory. We no longer appear to have the full members list anywhere either.

I imagine WES's PM's response would have been to apply a bit of dark tan to his face, pop on a turban and nip over to Tehran to apologise for being such a ghastly Westerner.
    He's not my PM Even had I still been in Canada he wouldn't have been my choice.

And I'm not saying the West can never respond, you just need to be careful when you do. Violence begets violence after all.

The question really is whether or not *this* killing was worth it. It was the equivalent of an anti-Western country assassinating the Vice-President of the United States. There would outrage (quite rightly) all over the world had that happened. Iran is struggling massively given the sanctions in place. If this escalates and we have an increase in stability (political and economic) and an increase in violence, will it really have been worth it?

As I said, if the Americans have intelligence indicating that escalation is very unlikely then I can understand it. If not, this strikes me as really, really stupid. Do you really think the Iranians are going to be less hostile, less violent because we assassinated their second in command? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    He's not my PM Even had I still been in Canada he wouldn't have been my choice.

And I'm not saying the West can never respond, you just need to be careful when you do. Violence begets violence after all.

The question really is whether or not *this* killing was worth it. It was the equivalent of an anti-Western country assassinating the Vice-President of the United States. There would outrage (quite rightly) all over the world had that happened. Iran is struggling massively given the sanctions in place. If this escalates and we have an increase in stability (political and economic) and an increase in violence, will it really have been worth it?

As I said, if the Americans have intelligence indicating that escalation is very unlikely then I can understand it. If not, this strikes me as really, really stupid. Do you really think the Iranians are going to be less hostile, less violent because we assassinated their second in command? Really?
    That is nonsense. As far as I'm aware, Mike Pence is not directly responsible for directing the USA's military operations in the Middle East and is not directly responsible for the killing of hundreds of American and British soldiers. Neither, as far as I'm aware, has he directed attacks against foreign embassies or commanded the blowing up of a Saudi oil field.

The idea that this guy was just some politician is utterly ludicrous. He was described as "the single most powerful operative in the Middle East today" by the CIA and is a direct combatant against US personnel and interests. His killing was wholly justified.