Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did everyone enjoy their turkey / beef / goose / nut cutlet, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    My glw insists on correct nomenclature; that is to say, stuffing is a breadcrumb-based filler which is poked up the bird, whilst forcemeat is the sausagemeat porky goodness which may be inserted into the bird, or may be cooked seperately.

And people wonder why I beat her.
    Have you pointed out to her that the word 'force' in that context just derives from the French word for stuffing?

Or would that just cause ructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Have you pointed out to her that the word 'force' in that context just derives from the French word for stuffing?

Or would that just cause ructions?
    She would probably explain to me, clearly, calmly and without displaying any exasperation, that words change and evolve through usage, that etymology is irrelevant to current meaning, and that a language that remains static and bound within strict rules is doomed to die.

And you know what? She'd be right.

She's always right.

She would probably explain to me, clearly, calmly and without displaying any exasperation, that words change and evolve through usage, that etymology is irrelevant to current meaning, and that a language that remains static and bound within strict rules is doomed to die.

And you know what? She'd be right.

She's always right.
    Nonsense. Stuffing that is not stuffed is essentially meatloaf.

Nonsense. Stuffing that is not stuffed is essentially meatloaf.
    It can't be meatloaf because it's not loaf-shaped and it contains more than meat.

It can't be meatloaf because it's not loaf-shaped and it contains more than meat.
    Who are you to say what shape a loaf is and meatloaf does contain more than meat. Mine contains breadcrumbs soaked in milk, garlic, herbs, Parma Ham and all sorts.

Anyway, the point is that you give in too easily to your wife's intellectual waterboarding and need to stand up for yourself.

Who are you to say what shape a loaf is and meatloaf does contain more than meat. Mine contains breadcrumbs soaked in milk, garlic, herbs, Parma Ham and all sorts.

Anyway, the point is that you give in too easily to your wife's intellectual waterboarding and need to stand up for yourself.
    I lobbed the goose liver in this year. Then the kidneys. Then I looked at the heart and thought, '**** it.' In it went.

It was exceptional.

And don't think I haven't noticed your foulness, by the way. Bread soaked in milk? Animal.

I lobbed the goose liver in this year. Then the kidneys. Then I looked at the heart and thought, '**** it.' In it went.

It was exceptional.

And don't think I haven't noticed your foulness, by the way. Bread soaked in milk? Animal.
    But if you did that, what did you use to make the giblet gravy? Just the goose's neck?

Incidentally, I can't use the phrase 'goose's neck' without remembering a cricket club visit to a brewery at which the somewhat elderly treasurer got horribly píssed and ended up waving his appendage out of the coach window on the return journey whilst shouting at passing cars "LOOK AT THAT, GIRLS! IT'S LIKE A GOOSE'S NECK!"

Oh, and there's Parmesan in it, too. Shedloads of it. It's a Marcella Hazan recipe and is served in a tomato sauce with Porcini and mushroom liquor in it. Terribly good.
    Last edited by Burney; 01-02-2020 at 03:06 PM.

But if you did that, what did you use to make the giblet gravy? Just the goose's neck?

Incidentally, I can't use the phrase 'goose's neck' without remembering a cricket club visit to a brewery at which the somewhat elderly treasurer got horribly píssed and ended up waving his appendage out of the coach window on the return journey whilst shouting at passing cars "LOOK AT THAT, GIRLS! IT'S LIKE A GOOSE'S NECK!"

Oh, and there's Parmesan in it, too. Shedloads of it. It's a Marcella Hazan recipe and is served in a tomato sauce with Porcini and mushroom liquor in it. Terribly good.
    I made the stock from the carcass, the wings and the neck.

'Goose's neck.' Nice.

Congratulation. Same here, for a few days. Got the tip during my daughter's birthday party on the twenty-third and scrambled down to Durban. Arrived in time to give the poor wee mite a wave through all the glass and that was pretty much that.

Merry Christmas indeed. Pretty little girl too

Any cracking arguments with in-laws to share?

I became a great uncle again. Like Bulgaria.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Congratulation. Same here, for a few days. Got the tip during my daughter's birthday party on the twenty-third and scrambled down to Durban. Arrived in time to give the poor wee mite a wave through all the glass and that was pretty much that.

Merry Christmas indeed. Pretty little girl too
    Oh, mate. I am sorry.