Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Oi, Sir C. Book recommendation.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oi, Sir C. Book recommendation.

Have you read the Mick Herron Jackson Lamb/Slough House series? Halfway through the first - Slow Horses - and I'm quite keen. They're about a bunch of MI5 spooks who've all fúcked up and been exiled to a dingy office where they aren't allowed to run cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Have you read the Mick Herron Jackson Lamb/Slough House series? Halfway through the first - Slow Horses - and I'm quite keen. They're about a bunch of MI5 spooks who've all fúcked up and been exiled to a dingy office where they aren't allowed to run cases.
    Sounds riveting, B

I listened to the first one and... quite enjoyed it, but haven't yet tried any more. ty for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I listened to the first one and... quite enjoyed it, but haven't yet tried any more. ty for the recommendation.
    I'm told the second, Dead Lions, is the best.

Anyone else allowed to read them or just Sir C?

I'm told the second, Dead Lions, is the best.
    . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    . . . . . . . .
    No, you’d like them, too, h. Indeed the hero is a grotesque, fat, uncouth man who belches and farts all the time. Just your sort of thing.

No, you’d like them, too, h. Indeed the hero is a grotesque, fat, uncouth man who belches and farts all the time. Just your sort of thing.
    Just tried my first ever Thomas Hardy, The Woodlanders, Lord spare me I had to quit after chapter 6 - just couldn't care about any of the characters and the tendency to spend three paragraphs describing a farkin gatepost or summat!

I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.
    It’s a lovely, lovely book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It’s a lovely, lovely book.
    I was going to bin it after a chapter or two due to the slow pace but then quickly realised that is the genius of it.The demise of manners Sir C