Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oi, Sir C. Book recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'd not give you tuppence for Hardy, tbh. Depressive, tedious stuff.
    I was developing a theory that literature written before the advent of film lacked the craft of evocative prose and the arrival of cinema for everyone forced writers to up their game and increase the pace beyond the soporific ramblings in this particular example[Woodlanders]. Then I realised it was tosh because Dickens puts you right there in the action as convincingly as watching a movie. Hardy was just a droney old cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I love Hardy. Try The Mayor of Casterbridge. A proper racy read.
    I will c . I possibly alighted on a poor choice for an introduction to his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I will c . I possibly alighted on a poor choice for an introduction to his work.
    Far From The Madding Crowd's ok as well. That Bathsheba bint would get i9n, nae bother.

I suspect he's a tedious load of auld shyte, Herbs. I had to read The Trumpet Major as a yoot. Total load of boring ballix. I suggest trying Theo Walcott's oeuvre instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I suspect he's a tedious load of auld shyte, Herbs. I had to read The Trumpet Major as a yoot. Total load of boring ballix. I suggest trying Theo Walcott's oeuvre instead.
    Oh Christ that little twát hasn't written a biography has he. "Fast and Useless"

Oh Christ that little twát hasn't written a biography has he. "Fast and Useless"
    A series of children's books called things like "TJ and the payrise".

I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.
    It’s a lovely, lovely book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It’s a lovely, lovely book.
    I was going to bin it after a chapter or two due to the slow pace but then quickly realised that is the genius of it.The demise of manners Sir C