Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How come Auba speaks Portuguese? re:Arseblog and Martinelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    That's sort of what I was getting at when I said than on my two visits to Portugal, they understood the Spanish I'd learned in S. America.

But I'm fairly sure they'd have known I was trying to speak Spanish, not Portuguese.

Maybe Auba just went "Hola, mi amigo" and young Gabby was so chuffed it sounded like pwoppa Portuguese to him.
    Yeah - I love Portugal but the language always gets me. You are right about it sounding Russian sometimes. Apparently, though Portuguese people struggle to understand Brazilians so who knows what they get

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yeah - I love Portugal but the language always gets me. You are right about it sounding Russian sometimes. Apparently, though Portuguese people struggle to understand Brazilians so who knows what they get
    There’s that chap who’s on podcasts sometimes. Might be Portuguese, might be Brazilian, who can say. Anyway, the point is, when you hear him pronounce Coutinho you learn what a silly language Portugal’s is.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think they do it on purpose so they don't sound Spanish. It's basically Glaswegian Iberico. When you listen to the Latin accent in France, Italy and Spain, how come that little bit suddenly sounds like Vladivostok in comparison?

As I say, I reckon they spoke the same until 1640 when they became independent again, and just wanted to sound as different as possible. NB This is pure speculation. I haven't read or studied anything even suggesting this.

Let's face it, if your national language isn't even along the lines of your country name then you shouldn't exist. I'm looking at you America and Australia. Scotland and Ireland too.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    He's never played for a Portuguese team, has he? I thought it was just Frogs and Krauts.

And Gabon was French, I thought. The 'Geezers just had Angola. I mean, fair play to him, but I don't see where he learned it.
    I hope this helps
    "Gabon's first confirmed European visitors were Portuguese explorers and traders who arrived in the late 15th century. The Portuguese settled on the offshore islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Pó, but were regular visitors to the coast"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There’s that chap who’s on podcasts sometimes. Might be Portuguese, might be Brazilian, who can say. Anyway, the point is, when you hear him pronounce Coutinho you learn what a silly language Portugal’s is.
    Is it pronounced Mustshooteverytimehehasball?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    I hope this helps
    "Gabon's first confirmed European visitors were Portuguese explorers and traders who arrived in the late 15th century. The Portuguese settled on the offshore islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Pó, but were regular visitors to the coast"
    Just like they were swapping bronze for slaves in Benin for centuries. {cf the stunning artefacts in the British Museum.}

But they weren't the colonial power at the time when mass education would have started in the late C19th or early C20th and as such, they wouldn't have left a lasting linguistic impression on the country.

{1st in Imperial history, init?}

Just like they were swapping bronze for slaves in Benin for centuries. {cf the stunning artefacts in the British Museum.}

But they weren't the colonial power at the time when mass education would have started in the late C19th or early C20th and as such, they wouldn't have left a lasting linguistic impression on the country.

{1st in Imperial history, init?}
    Indeed. My own fair island was invaded by a foreign foe from the C15th onwards and one can still hear on a few secluded areas the remains of the invaders tongue

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Indeed. My own fair island was invaded by a foreign foe from the C15th onwards and one can still hear on a few secluded areas the remains of the invaders tongue
    I thought the Vikings invaded and founded Dublin long before that.

I think they do it on purpose so they don't sound Spanish. It's basically Glaswegian Iberico. When you listen to the Latin accent in France, Italy and Spain, how come that little bit suddenly sounds like Vladivostok in comparison?

As I say, I reckon they spoke the same until 1640 when they became independent again, and just wanted to sound as different as possible. NB This is pure speculation. I haven't read or studied anything even suggesting this.
    Funny, I was speaking to a Brazilian chap just yesterday who assured me the Spanish and Portuguese were very similar.

Yet when I asked some of the locals in Lisbon they assured me they were completely different.