Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Why are we allegedly trying to buy a LB, but not a RB?

Why are we allegedly trying to buy a LB, but not a RB?

I mean, whatever you think of the failings of Nacho and Kola, that was the one position I was happy with.

Having them both allowed an easy switch from back 3 to 4.

While Hector is still injured, and AMN is still not a full back.

I'd love him to get a chance in the middle, and he's got better going forward as a wing back. But look at Lyon. 1m too far from the winger - cross, goal.

He never played that at youth and you can't expect him to learn on the job.

So why does the dago want 3 LBs, but not RB for the start of the season?

Have I missed something?

{Think Willock can come good if he practices his finishing, but that's another story.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I mean, whatever you think of the failings of Nacho and Kola, that was the one position I was happy with.

I'd love him to get a chance in the middle, and he's got better going forward as a wing back. But look at Lyon. 1m too far from the winger - cross, goal.

Have I missed something?

{Think Willock can come good if he practices his finishing, but that's another story.}
    Yes, you've missed the fact that Sead is pretty hopeless as a LB in a back four and Emery wants to play 433. And Monreal is the only other option and he turns 34 in February.

Meanwhile, AMN was decent as a RB and Hector is a good RB and both are young.

Other than that you haven't missed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, you've missed the fact that Sead is pretty hopeless as a LB in a back four and Emery wants to play 433. And Monreal is the only other option and he turns 34 in February.

I probably wasn't paying attention during the moments that AMN was decent as RB. I was unimpress.

Emery doesn't see Nacho as a CB in a two, so presumably either he or the dance-like-a-butterfly Bosnian would be moved on.

And we've got Blenkinsop as emergency RB. We'll always have Blenkinsop. His contract runs out after the sun expands to eat the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

I am not very fond of AMN unfortunately.
    Good lad but he's far from ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I probably wasn't paying attention during the moments that AMN was decent as RB. I was unimpress.

Emery doesn't see Nacho as a CB in a two, so presumably either he or the dance-like-a-butterfly Bosnian would be moved on.

And we've got Blenkinsop as emergency RB. We'll always have Blenkinsop. His contract runs out after the sun expands to eat the earth.
    I still think Blenkinsop won a competition or a (make a wish) type deal when he wa sa kid. Or Jim'll fixed it for him to be an Arsenal player.

You omitted the obligatory "Wenger Out" at the end of that
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Have I missed something?

We want a first-choice left back, Hector is clearly first choice right back when fit, which will hopefully be soon - as explained neither Nacho or Kolasinac are perfect for LB in the way Emery wants to play. Maybe we will get a stop-gap rb when the important business is done but a back-up

I meant as RWB, not as RB.

By the end of last season, he'd learned how to beat the full back, whip in a cross and was making a few goals for Auba and the gang.

For a DM learning on the job, that was fine.

And Nacho is ok as a CH in two. Seen worse in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    We want a first-choice left back, Hector is clearly first choice right back when fit, which will hopefully be soon - as explained neither Nacho or Kolasinac are perfect for LB in the way Emery wants to play. Maybe we will get a stop-gap rb when the important business is done but a back-up
    Ok. I get all that. But I can't see anyone paying Kola the 150k a week we give him and giving us money for him.

The irony is the season before last, I think Kola and Nacho both scored about five or six goals each as well as loads of assists.

I was thinking that if it had been one LB who got all those goals and assists, the press would be saying we had the new Roberto Carlos.

But that was under AW who knew how to make the sexy with fullbacks.

Apparently Tiereny has filled in at right back before

But the difference between doing that vs Cowdenbeath, Falkirk and Raith Rovers and Tottenham, City and Liverpool isn’t quantifiable imo

Might be we go 3-4-3 with Reece as the wing back.

Maybe if we get back into the CL we’ll go all out for Max Aarons (provided he has a good season with Norwich).