Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If we finish 6th and don't win Europa...

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Why would you connect the two? Let’s not keep anyone for a moment if we think we can get better results with a new manager.
    You really think it’s that simple? The moment we think we can get better results with a new manager we make the change? There was no shortage of Arsenal supporters in 2001 who felt that way but the board stuck with Wenger.

Unai will finish the season with more points than last year despite minimal investment and we may yet make the CL. To not give him at least another year and the opportunity to address issues that were many years in the making strikes me as short sighted.

The finish to the season is clearly disappointing but needs to be put in perspective. Watching Mustafi and Koscielny defend like clowns doesn’t make me think changing Emery is the right thing. It makes me think changing Wenger was the right thing.

Agreed (apart from the last line, natch)

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    You really think it’s that simple? The moment we think we can get better results with a new manager we make the change? There was no shortage of Arsenal supporters in 2001 who felt that way but the board stuck with Wenger.

Unai will finish the season with more points than last year despite minimal investment and we may yet make the CL. To not give him at least another year and the opportunity to address issues that were many years in the making strikes me as short sighted.

The finish to the season is clearly disappointing but needs to be put in perspective. Watching Mustafi and Koscielny defend like clowns doesn’t make me think changing Emery is the right thing. It makes me think changing Wenger was the right thing.

If the board have a high level of confidence that replacing Emery will lead to a better outcome, why would they not change things? It’s their job to make decisions like that.

I’d give any manager at least a season, but the end of a season is a time for change. Someone who has shown great loyalty, would deserve more time to put things right.

We’ve had a run of results that Wenger didn’t manage in 20+ years and the signs are we are getting worse. Many of us could see that our earlier run was incredibly flattering.

If the right man is available why not make the leap? We did it before.

I don’t really care what fans think, some fans were continually slagging off Ramsey. Would you want us to listen to people like that?

If the board have a high level of confidence that replacing Emery will lead to a better outcome, why would they not change things? It’s their job to make decisions like that.

I’d give any manager at least a season, but the end of a season is a time for change. Someone who has shown great loyalty, would deserve more time to put things right.

We’ve had a run of results that Wenger didn’t manage in 20+ years and the signs are we are getting worse. Many of us could see that our earlier run was incredibly flattering.

If the right man is available why not make the leap? We did it before.

I don’t really care what fans think, some fans were continually slagging off Ramsey. Would you want us to listen to people like that?
    Well done, you’ve written many words and not addressed the fundamental point. Which is that you can never be certain that the change will work so it’s better to give the incumbent time until you are certain you need to change.

That is precisely what the board did with Wenger and what it should also do with Emery. Given that we have shown some improvement under Emery in league position and points and our form has been impressive in the EL, the idea that after one season we can be certain we need a change is a nonsense.

And I made the point that we should ignore supporters, not otherwise. You really should try and read posts before you reply.

Well done, you’ve written many words and not addressed the fundamental point. Which is that you can never be certain that the change will work so it’s better to give the incumbent time until you are certain you need to change.

That is precisely what the board did with Wenger and what it should also do with Emery. Given that we have shown some improvement under Emery in league position and points and our form has been impressive in the EL, the idea that after one season we can be certain we need a change is a nonsense.

And I made the point that we should ignore supporters, not otherwise. You really should try and read posts before you reply.
    I suspect you’re reading things a little too literally. There is no certainty in business. Not even taxes. It’s all a value judgement and we have more negative evidence to base that on and possibly a choice of managers that was previously unavailable.

I suspect you’re reading things a little too literally. There is no certainty in business. Not even taxes. It’s all a value judgement and we have more negative evidence to base that on and possibly a choice of managers that was previously unavailable.
    Ok, serious question as I’m not that familiar with the options - who are the available managers who we can be confident will be better than Unai? And what is the justification for that confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Agreed (apart from the last line, natch)

So you think we should have kept Wenger?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

To be fair, that’s what I used to ask you about Wenger. And here we are.

Ok, serious question as I’m not that familiar with the options - who are the available managers who we can be confident will be better than Unai? And what is the justification for that confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    To be fair, that’s what I used to ask you about Wenger. And here we are.
    Yes, and my reply at one point was Klopp or Pochettino.

And your point doesn’t really hold because I had years of declining results to justify my position, whereas AFC East has less than one full season, and one that has already shown improvement with a top 4 position and a European trophy still a possibility.

Why would you connect the two? Let’s not keep anyone for a moment if we think we can get better results with a new manager.
    Finding a successful formula when employing a new manager hasn’t really been achievable at any club. Possibly Liverpool for a while, with their boot room culture beginning with Shankly. The Scousers have probably been the most patient, having had 6 managers since 2000.
    Spurs have employed 10, many lasting one season . ManUre are now on their 5th, since Taggart left in 2013 and it’s highly likely the plucky Nog will be gone by this time next year.
    I said previously that it’s highly likely that Emery won’t be here that long but given limited finances, injuries to key players and the urgent need to clear out Wengers dead wood, is it not reasonable to allow him more time and a couple of transfer windows ?
    Last edited by 7sisters; 04-29-2019 at 07:52 AM.