Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Talking of the good old days, I often remember with a chuckle

Talking of the good old days, I often remember with a chuckle

that smug Islington leftie Headgear banging on about the absence of racism at Highbury due, one imagines, to the impeccable leftist credentials of those blessed with an N5 postcode. When I think of the piles of bananas chucked onto the pitch and the sound of 30 or 40 thousand blokes doing monkey noises... some people have no fúcking clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    that smug Islington leftie Headgear banging on about the absence of racism at Highbury due, one imagines, to the impeccable leftist credentials of those blessed with an N5 postcode. When I think of the piles of bananas chucked onto the pitch and the sound of 30 or 40 thousand blokes doing monkey noises... some people have no fúcking clue.
    And presumably he wasn't counting anti-semitism as racism?

Because fùck me we were anti-semitic.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    And presumably he wasn't counting anti-semitism as racism?

Because fùck me we were anti-semitic.
    Oh he never heard the hissing and the the gassing songs. I believe his earholes were too ideologically sound to allow such noises in. It would be different now, of course. He'd be leading the jew-baiting.

Anyway, whatever that stuff was, it wasn't anti-semitism. None of those lads disliked jews. Most of them lived and worked amongst jews and many of them were jews. They just hated Tottenham.

Oh he never heard the hissing and the the gassing songs. I believe his earholes were too ideologically sound to allow such noises in. It would be different now, of course. He'd be leading the jew-baiting.

Anyway, whatever that stuff was, it wasn't anti-semitism. None of those lads disliked jews. Most of them lived and worked amongst jews and many of them were jews. They just hated Tottenham.
    Oh, I know that and you know that. However, that becomes a difficult argument to make convincingly when 30,000 people are making the gas chamber noise or you've just called Vinny Samways 'a fùcking yìd cùnt' at the top of your voice.

I was stood on the North Bank, circa 1974 - next to a black chap - while everyone sang "You can stick yer fúckin n*gger up yer arse" - think we were playing Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I was stood on the North Bank, circa 1974 - next to a black chap - while everyone sang "You can stick yer fúckin n*gger up yer arse" - think we were playing Forest
    The thing about 1970s racism was that it was all good humoured. Just bantz, really. I can't count the number of times I stood on the North Bank with my best chum, a, y'know, jew, as he sand lustily about how he never felt more like :redacted: the jews when Arsenal win and Tottenham lose... no one meant any harm by it.