Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So. What were you doing on September 11, 2001?

So. What were you doing on September 11, 2001?

I don't mean that in a threatening way; I'm not accusing anyone here of being involved. Although if you were, you might want to hand yourself in.

It seems like a lifetime ago, especially when one remembers how TV was the place most people learnt about it or watched it happen.

My first thought when the scale became apparent, never having heard of Al-Qaeda and so on, was Palestinians, and I remember thinking, '**** me, they'll definitely nuke someone, but can they nuke the Palestinians without fúcking Israel?'

In October I was in Thailand, and Bangkok was awash with DVDs showing the whole story over and over again and t-shirts showing pictures of the towers being hit. The Thais loved that ****, not because they had anything against the Yanqui, but simply because it was an amazing event. Oddballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I don't mean that in a threatening way; I'm not accusing anyone here of being involved. Although if you were, you might want to hand yourself in.

It seems like a lifetime ago, especially when one remembers how TV was the place most people learnt about it or watched it happen.

My first thought when the scale became apparent, never having heard of Al-Qaeda and so on, was Palestinians, and I remember thinking, '**** me, they'll definitely nuke someone, but can they nuke the Palestinians without fúcking Israel?'

In October I was in Thailand, and Bangkok was awash with DVDs showing the whole story over and over again and t-shirts showing pictures of the towers being hit. The Thais loved that ****, not because they had anything against the Yanqui, but simply because it was an amazing event. Oddballs.
    Playing 5 a side football in my lunch hour down off Edgware Road. As I walked back to the office and saw what was occuring I thought it was a little odd.

That night I drank pints in the Highbury Barn watching us play some forgettable CL game.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Playing 5 a side football in my lunch hour down off Edgware Road. As I walked back to the office and saw what was occuring I thought it was a little odd.

That night I drank pints in the Highbury Barn watching us play some forgettable CL game.
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten that we had a game. We lost in Majorca.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

the 1-0 loss to Real Mallorca (Eto'o penalty after Cole was sent off). Watched it a pub on Liverpool Road, the something Fox I think. Now the Duchess of Kent.

As for 9/11 I was at work, getting annoyed with people watching the television as we were on deadline. News getting in the way of producing a newspaper ffs

I had a week between jobs and was hitting balls at a golf range. Went into the club shop for another token and saw the second plane hit.
    Bloke in the shop said to me at one point: "They've been happy to pay the IRA to bomb us for years - about time they got a bit of it back." While his point was a good one, I couldn't help but feel it was perhaps somewhat ill-timed and missing the larger point.
    I'm with the Thais on this one. I thought it made for brilliant news. Most news is so boring, isn't it? This was at least something to get one's teeth into.

I was at the Lagonissi beach resort in Greece. Went from the beach to the bungalow to pick up something and saw the second plane.

Flew Athens to Venice two days after that, stayed a night at the Gritti Palace and got on the Orient Express back to UK. Must admit I didn't fancy the idea of flying from Athens (security was risible) or using the Channel Tunnel, fantastic target.

On my way home from school. I think i got home before the second plane hit and saw it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    I was at the Lagonissi beach resort in Greece. Went from the beach to the bungalow to pick up something and saw the second plane.

Flew Athens to Venice two days after that, stayed a night at the Gritti Palace and got on the Orient Express back to UK. Must admit I didn't fancy the idea of flying from Athens (security was risible) or using the Channel Tunnel, fantastic target.
    I went flying the following evening as they anounced that all private aircraft were to be grounded from the next day; it was ****ing weird flying over the east end watching a pair of Tornadoes circling high over central London. Quite chilling, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    On my way home from school. I think i got home before the second plane hit and saw it on TV.
    At such a young age, did it strike you then that the world had changed, irrevocably?

At such a young age, did it strike you then that the world had changed, irrevocably?
    I was a teenager then, C. 13 years old, almost 14, and thinking about boobies and girls most of the time. I didn't really think about it too deeply.