Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New signings. I feel so underwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Henry AKA The African Queen View Post
    I would add Alexis, Thierry and Dennis to that list. Possibly Overmars, Gilberto Silva and Petit.
    Alexis couldn't get a game at Barca, Dennis was having a torrid time at Inter and Henry was occasionally playing for Juve and when he did it was on the right wing.

Petit was virtually unheard of when signed, Giberto was also pretty much unheard of apart from by the hipsters. Overmars, yes you can have that one but sodded off to Barca pretty quickly when his talent became overwhelmingly evident

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Alexis couldn't get a game at Barca, Dennis was having a torrid time at Inter and Henry was occasionally playing for Juve and when he did it was on the right wing.

Petit was virtually unheard of when signed, Giberto was also pretty much unheard of apart from by the hipsters. Overmars, yes you can have that one but sodded off to Barca pretty quickly when his talent became overwhelmingly evident
    All of that is true but according to Ivan, that's why we built the Emirates, so that we could compete for the best players.

So once we get in that position to have him tell us we can't while £150mil+ sits in the club's accounts is rather galling.

But as I said, Wenger finally spent some money and certainly Xhaka looks very good so there's reason for optimism.

Hey Luis. Long time. I pray all is good. :love
    I am very unhappy Joel has been sent out again and wish Theo had instead. I was surprised Jack accepted it but the ego that is Walcott clearly would not and because of his ludicrous wages we are stuck with him.

Ah well. Onwards and upwards.
    Agree about Joel - must have upset Arsene somehow. Not Walcott's biggest fan but he seems to have accepted he is going to play wide and shown some gumption in the first couple of games

Overmars came after a very bad injury though - people were suspicious. Pretty much got his best years though. And Petit's Barca bought

So they were not world class?
    Are you only world class if others want you or if you are showing the necessary class?

Bar Bergkamp, I don't think any of the others were "world class" at that point. As PSRB says, each had their issues to overcome - they all proved themselves to be outstanding players for us, but I still don't think anyone other than Bergkamp or Henry (and maybe Overmars for 2-3 years) would have got in an all-time world XI. Comes down to your definition of world class I guess, which is pretty meaningless all told...

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    There was 3 others above him, not taking into account any players from the obvious big 3.

https://www.statbunker.com/competiti...rs?comp_id=518

Agree with you on the second assertion all the same, give him a chance before burying him. I think most people's frustration is based not at the player but at the process and the length of time it took to act which in turn may cause one to wonder if he was ever a plan or simply a panic/reaction to a less than awe inspiring start to the season.

Had he been high on Wenger's list of targets then given his clause he could in reality have signed earlier.

Not sure if this helps explain the transfer strategy or whether this is just someone trying to plug his book and getting a bit of exposure. LA would probably be able to give us an insight.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Not sure if this helps explain the transfer strategy or whether this is just someone trying to plug his book and getting a bit of exposure. LA would probably be able to give us an insight.
    I don't have a book mate, other than the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I don't have a book mate, other than the Bible.
    If you are going to have just one book from the fiction archives, that is among the best books to have.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

So they were not world class?
    Are you only world class if others want you or if you are showing the necessary class?
    They became World Class at Arsenal